Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: Farm Attacks In South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by GameFarmer View Post
    So what you are saying in essence is that the community have now accepted the fact that white farmers are deliberately targeted and murdered, and that farmers should be simply more prepared? Shit happens?

Wake up and smell the empty grain bins.

Maybe we first need famine before the state (and the community) accept that the state should ensure the safety of those that feed it.
    That is not what I'm saying.

I agree that the reduction / eradication of crime is the government's responsibility. I agree that they are currently not doing enough (anything?) to fulfill that responsibility.

However, everyone (farmers included) need to be realistic enough to know that:
    1. There is still a chance that you might be attacked (If you are on a farm, there is a damn good chance)
    2. The police / government / ruling party will NOT be there in time to save you
    3. If you do not arm yourself, you will very likely die.

So what I am saying is, why are they still so ignorant as to believe that they are safe on the farms, and continue to operate in this state of denial? Why go outside at night, unarmed, to see what the dogs are barking at? Why go to milk the cows at 4h30, without being armed? Why leave the kitchen door open while cooking supper?

Yes, in my opinion farmers are targeted and murdered. I have accepted it as a fact, but I have not accepted it as "shit happens". What they must accept is that they are vulnerable, and will have to protect themselves, whether politically speaking it is their responsibility or not.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

So what you are saying in essence is that the community have now accepted the fact that white farmers are deliberately targeted and murdered, and that farmers should be simply more prepared? Shit happens?

Wake up and smell the empty grain bins.

Maybe we first need famine before the state (and the community) accept that the state should ensure the safety of those that feed it.
    GF, was not my intention to say that I accept these things. My hart breaks every time I have to read an article about farm attacks. I'm not a farmer... Wished I could be! However I just somehow want people to realize that the powers that be are currently to concerned with lining their own pockets or advancing their social status, to be concerned with the reality of a bleak future without farmers. With most crisis management in this country it seems to be an approach of " We'll fix it when its broken", just look at water and electricity....

I'm with you! WE HAVE A SERIOUS PROBLEM HERE!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy View Post
    I know a lot of farmers, but dont know a single one that believes the state should provide security. Sure some of them are lax in looking after themselves but none expects state security. The problem is that they have become accustomed to the relaxed lifestyle and refuse to see the sea change that has taken place.
    I agree that the state is not capable of providing individual security, but if farm murderers are specifically targeted (zero tolerance) and accordingly prosecuted (with the same media hype as Rhinos) we should see a decline in said activity. In essence, the state is then providing security. No?

The silence from the state (and the community) in these murders, is deafening.

User

Skaaphaas and Ramius, it is nothing personal. We desperately need the debate and to change public perception away from simple acceptance.

Farmers can surely be more prepared and deal with the symptom, but the cause is where the focus should be.

Skaaphaas and Ramius, it is nothing personal. We desperately need the debate and to change public perception away from simple acceptance.

Farmers can surely be more prepared and deal with the symptom, but the cause is where the focus should be.
    Agreed, the cause must be addressed. But my post was more aimed at safeguarding themselves for the time being, until such time as the cause is addressed. It is a very emotive issue, and one that I have personal experience of, with neighbours attacked and attempted attacks on ourselves.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

None taken!

I'm just thinking is there no way that we can somehow help? I'm thinking if there's an "Old Oom or Tannie" that we know of that needs some assistance in writing a motivation or to have an old pistol cleaned... maybe us in the know should reach out to them so that they don't feel so isolated?

User

Ramius that is a good idea and I'm sure all Gunsiters will help and advise where they can, but at the rate farmers are murdered we need more than that.

We need a driving force that will sway public opinion (read acceptance) to zero tolerance. We need the government to take drastic steps to convey the message that their silence is not approval.

Either that or http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...236-Our-future

User

Ramius that is a good idea and I'm sure all Gunsiters will help and advise where they can, but at the rate farmers are murdered we need more than that.

We need a driving force that will sway public opinion (read acceptance) to zero tolerance. We need the government to take drastic steps to convey the message that their silence is not approval.

Either that or http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...236-Our-future
    Who would you suggest is the intended target market? Government or general public opinion? I like the idea of getting someone to notice and would most certainly like to initiate or support any cause that would ultimately achieve this! But so many other documentaries and campaigns have fallen on deaf ears that I'm worried that the credibility of such action might be ignored... The old tale of the frog in the hot water springs to mind...

User

Maybe Whitey Basson can be convinced to have an isle in every Checkers totally empty (like JS4's picture) with the message:

Let us put a stop to farm murders, or else get used to this empty isle.

...... yeah right.

User

...... yeah right
    Says who? Maybe we should try...

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast