User

Default Hornady Interlock BTSP

Need some advice - are the Hornady Interlocks good quality ammunition?
    Will they hold together on BWB? .308 165gr. What is the difference between these and say PMP Std.?

Banned

Default Re: Hornady Interlock BTSP

Interlock is on par with PMP Pro-amm. I would rather go with interbond (bonded lead bullet) or the GMX which is all copper. I am a copper man and the GMX's have really proven themselves. Good wound channel and good penetration. I always add my proviso with copper. Shoot for the boiler room as the meat damage is not such an issue with these projectiles.

User

I have used a 150gr interlock out of my .308win on an adult blue wildebeest cow. Lung shot at about 80m. The ammo chronied at about 2800fps. The bullet performed admirabilly, mushrooming and lodged in the muscle tissue on the opposite side withou exiting. The wildebeest ran about 75m before expiring. That is the largest animal I have shot with the interlock bullet and in that situation I found it good enough. The load was used quite a bit on springbuck and performance was also acceptable. I think the interbonds would possibly be a safer bet for wildebeest though. Pitty they are so much more expensive than the interbonds.

User

Let me start by saying that my favourite blue wildebeest bullet is the Barnes TSX followed by the Nosler Partition. However, during the past 12 months I've shot 4 blue wildebeest with Hornady Interlock bullets and witnessed another one shot with this bullet.

One of those I shot was taken with a brain shot, which proves nothing.
    I saw one large bull getting shot with a 7x57 using a 139 Hornady Interlock. The bull was facing us at 120m and the shot hit him, low, in the centre of the chest, he ran 20m and went down.

I shot two bulls and one cow with a .300 win mag (180gr Hornady Interlock @ 2900fps).
    The first bull was 200m away, slightly angled away from me, I shot him just behind the shoulder and the bullet lodged in the front part of the opposite shoulder. He ran a 100m (which is not unusual for a bwb) and went down.

The cow was shot from 200m, on the shoulder, the bullet excited and she went down after running around 100m.

The second bull was facing me at around 150m and was shot low in the chest, he ran, around 100m, before going down.

I use Hornady Interlocks extensively on springbok, blesbok and warthog, in the 7x57 and .300 win mag, and can't complain about their performance.

I've shot very many animals, and I've seen a lot more getting shot, with Hornady Interlocks and I've seen only one failure. A client shot a large eland bull using a .375 H&H with 300gr Hornady Interlocks, three consecutive bullets disintegrated in the eland's shoulder.

Over the years I've used Hornady Interlocks in several calibres and have taken game ranging from steenbok up to, and including, a cape buffalo with them without any problems. They may mess up a bit more meat than monolitics but with proper shot placement this is not much of a problem. I prefer premium bullets for the larger antelope but for general hunting I find them too expensive.

I use interlocks in all my rifles from 6mm upwards. They have worked perefectly (on a lot of animals) barring one ocassion with a 180 grainer on a zebra. I support the use of premium grade bullets however don't think they are the be all and end all. I use standard cup and core bullets such as the interlock as they have always worked for me.