Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Shooting with a disability

It seems that I am going to have to relearn some stuff. Had a disagreement with a circular saw yesterday, and as a result, my middle and ring fingers on my strong hand (right hand) are somewhat shorter than they used to be.

Only have about 40% of my middle finger, and about 80% of my ring finger length.

Anyone else shoot with something similar? Looking for pointers, and some assurances I thunk.

Tx

User

Default Re: Shooting with a disability

Damn!!

Firstly good luck!!

My father lost 60% his left thumb in a meat saw accident. They were a 2 hour drive away from the nearest hospital (bloemfontein).

I think the biggest problem for my father was that the new tip was very sensitive. This is not to scare you, but to prepare you. The nerves regrow to the tip and then eventually turn back to the inside of the finger (this was explained by the dr to my dad to me). While those nerves are growing forward they are sensitive!

It took my father some getting used to, but he functions pretty much normally now (had to learn how to hold a fork from scratch).

Best of luck with your recovery!! Keep us posted, we are here to support you!

Shit!very sorry to hear that man!How bad is the pain?My grandad lost 3 vingertips the same way...

User

Best of luck with the recovery.

I've seen people with waaaayyyyy lots more happen to them come to the shooting range and perform perfectly. You're not disabled. You just need to adjust a bit and work with what you have.

From the shooting point of view... You might have to adjust your grip and the way you hold the firearm during reloads, transitions and stuff. Forgot what u knew before and learn what will work henceforth.

R.I.P.

i watched a documentary last year about a guy who cut off part of his finger similar to what you did. his brother who was a doctor doing research gave him some powder that he had to put on the stump every day. the guys finger grew back. if i remember right the powder was made from the lining of a pig 's stomach.

sounds far fetched, but probably worth investigating.

Damn , get well soon.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Thanks guys.

That is why I said I will need to "relearn" some stuff. My biggest concern is the grip on the FA with my "now no longer stronger hand"

User

Ouch, that's bad luck man!

...and quite a good reason to learn one-handed firearm manipulation before your strong hand is potentially out of action for any reason!

Yeah, it will take some getting used to, and by the sounds of it on two levels as well: I'd imagine there will be a period where it might be better using your weak hand while the other heals up before learning new manipulation with your strong hand..?

Don't let it stop you though and as the guys said I'd imagine you might even end up shooting better because of the focus on training!

Keep us posted please...
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Ohw! Sorry to hear. Good luck with the rehab, be strong.

A friend of mine also had a similar accident, he ender up teaching himself to use his left hand as his dominant. Now he also hunt left handed. (This is probably the interim, oprtion, and last resort)

And now I see JS4 had the same idea, then me.
    "Trespassers will be welcomed, and served a light lunch"

Banned

The body is a wonderful creation. It adapts to these changes and before you know your other fingers will get stronger and provide enough grip to keep you shooting. Have a acquitance who lost his left arm in a bike accident. He hunts and shoots with his 308 and has fitted two bipods together to make a mobile rest that supports his rifle at front and rear and enables him to shoot accurately from a standing position. I can only wish you recovery and perseverance with this mishap. Keep on shooting!!!!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast