Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Wetpack test in 40 S & W

Nicely done Dirk! Good fun eh?

I have tested most of the above rounds (in water and wet pack) and my results were very similar. From my testing the expansion of the 180gr Starfire was very hit 'n miss. Some expanded very well, others not so well. IMHO stay away. Same goes for the 180gr PMP, which is just plain crap IMHO. I was surprised by the penetration of the Eliminator. I found some expanded well and others not at all. Another iffy design, which kinda works. Stay away.

Stragely, from my testing the Magtech Blue Box JHP's (9x19 and .40) ALWAYS held together better than their GG cousins. The bullet design is supposed to be identical, with only the gold coating to differentiate them. I suspect they they tend to load the GG a tad hotter which accounts for the fragmentation.

The Speer GD mentioned above, looks more like its 165gr cousin (Esp. based on expansion). Possible?
    No surprise on the 155gr TAP or Speer GD, both are excellent performers and are gtg. The TAP XTP performs well based on bullet design, (tried and tested) and will almost always expand to 1.5 x its original diameter. I have seen the XTP shed its jacket, but very rarely.

As for the Ranger T series in .40, I've tested both the 165 and 180gr flavours. The 165gr T series held up better in wet pack than its 180gr cousin. The 180gr over-expanded and lost its talons in all of the recovered rounds I found (quite a few shed their jackets too!). Recovered rounds weighed in at around 80-85% of their original weight. The 165gr T series expanded very well and retained its weight better than the 180gr. Not scientific, but gives you an idea of potential performance. The 180gr Ranger Bonded also expanded massively. So much so, the petals were peeled around the core of the bullet. 100% weight retention, but no surprise there.

User

I think the Magtech blue box and guardian gold are very similar the only difference seems to be the lead they use for the actual rounds, blue box lead is darker grey and harder whereas guardian gold lead is lighter in colour and softer.

here is a pic of 180gr bullets fired into water

DSC07576.jpg

User

Quote Originally Posted by GROM G27 View Post
    I think the Magtech blue box and guardian gold are very similar the only difference seems to be the lead they use for the actual rounds, blue box lead is darker grey and harder whereas guardian gold lead is lighter in colour and softer.

here is a pic of 180gr bullets fired into water

DSC07576.jpg
    Both fired from the same pistol? The expansion on the GG relative to the Blue Box seems to prove my theory correct. Velocities are the same as per the Magtech catalog, so either the specs are off or Magetch is using two different bullets here. Same with the .40 155gr GG and BB JHP.

User

Thanks for the info and nicely done Dirk looks like tons o fun
    tims

"The Speer GD mentioned above, looks more like its 165gr cousin (Esp. based on expansion). Possible?"
    @ BrandanK, yes I think it might have been the Speer 165gn rounds, I disposed of the box for the Speer ammo long time ago, and couldn't find the specs/info, anywhere in my documentation.
    Thanx for your encouragement and guidance, it was a lot of fun.

Those PMP rounds where seriously disapointing.
    "Trespassers will be welcomed, and served a light lunch"

User

I have quite a few boxes of 155gr XTP but I am carrying the 180gr version these days.
    Im worried the 155gr is a little hard as they seem to use it for the 10mm loads.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Both fired from the same pistol? The expansion on the GG relative to the Blue Box seems to prove my theory correct. Velocities are the same as per the Magtech catalog, so either the specs are off or Magetch is using two different bullets here. Same with the .40 155gr GG and BB JHP.
    Yes, both fired from a GLOCK 27. Exactly the same test, shots taken 30 seconds apart so that the water could settle down again.
    I think the GG is definitely a different bullet just uses the same basic design.

Nice test...always enjoy seeing this kind of thing. GD is a great round....I stopped putting PMP through my gun when I opened a box I had bought and the seating depths varied by up to a 1,5mm...and I got 8 squibs while I use the red firing spring in my G23...
    Magtec really are looking good...I bought some Gaurdian Gold the other day...nice 2nd mag ammo.
    If you get chance try 135gr CorBon or even the 140 DPX stuff...you will be impressed. The cavity that the 135gr leaves explains why it is still the most effective handun round in real shootings in the USA.

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorBon View Post
    Nice test...always enjoy seeing this kind of thing. GD is a great round....I stopped putting PMP through my gun when I opened a box I had bought and the seating depths varied by up to a 1,5mm...and I got 8 squibs while I use the red firing spring in my G23...
    Magtec really are looking good...I bought some Gaurdian Gold the other day...nice 2nd mag ammo.
    If you get chance try 135gr CorBon or even the 140 DPX stuff...you will be impressed. The cavity that the 135gr leaves explains why it is still the most effective handun round in real shootings in the USA.
    While I like the 165gr Cor-Bon JHP and the DPX, I would give the 135gr a miss (bear in mind that all of the 135gr Cor-Bon floating around is at least 10 years old...). Penetration is an issue on the 135gr JHP, it often fails to reach the 12" FBI standard for penetration. The data you're seeing for the 135gr Cor-Bon JHP is likely the old M&S material, most LE agencies have since switched back to the heavy for caliber loads, bar the border control agency in the U.S which had the WW Ranger 135gr JHP developed especially for their needs (God alone knows why...). Scout around for some 165/180gr Ranger T series/Ranger Bonded which should still be fairly readily available, that is true tier 1 LE ammo, that is extensively tested against all the IWBA protocols.

Quote Originally Posted by CorBon View Post
    What relation do squibs have to a red striker spring?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast