Default The Forgotten Soldier

Anyone read the book with the above title written by Guy Sajer? Briefly, he was an infantryman with the highly regarded GrossDeutschland regiment (he switched from a logistics supply regiment to infantry) who saw the whole war on the Eastern front through from beginning to end. It is written completely unapologetically and with no small measure of pride in the abilities and tenacity of the German soldier. Sajer was a compulsory conscript from France - French father, German mother - and spoke German rather badly (at least to start with). Which make the story all the more compelling. I will say it is one of the most remarkable epics of human endurance I have ever read. In a way, it makes "The Worst Journey in the World" look like minor stuff. It also sheds much light on the truth that a soldier (at that level anyway) fights not for country or ideology but simply for his mates beside him.

User

Default Re: The Forgotten Soldier

Read it many many moons ago.Did find it interesting,but then I'm a history nerd anyways!

User

I read it back in school! Loved it! Would read it every night before bed. Also a history buff, and my younger brother and I are big into it. Thoroughly enjoyed the book, and would definitely recommend it to others! :)

Excellent read.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Yep. Read it as well. One of my favorite WW2 books. There was however some controversy if I recall, as there was no record of Guy Sajer ever serving in the GrossDeutchland or other units he mentions in the book. There were also some technical mistakes that lead some critics question whether the writer did have first hand knowledge of the events he describes. Will see if I can find the write up on this.

Still, I really enjoyed the book for what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by b20 View Post
    Yep. Read it as well. One of my favorite WW2 books. There was however some controversy if I recall, as there was no record of Guy Sajer ever serving in the GrossDeutchland or other units he mentions in the book. There were also some technical mistakes that lead some critics question whether the writer did have first hand knowledge of the events he describes. Will see if I can find the write up on this.

Still, I really enjoyed the book for what it was.
    Yes, but on the other hand (a) most records were lost in the chaos at the end of the war and (b) there is much evidence too that everything is true. For example the loss of the Pretoria. While there has been some criticism, none of it has been really convincing - at least not as far as I can tell.

User

http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/sajer.htm

This website might be of interest in discussing the authenticity of the book. Just as a side note, I really enjoyed this book and would love for it to be authentic... Just not 100% sure it is.