Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default Personal Medic Kit

Ok, so I have a medical bag, which I always take along on trips etc.

Last night looking at the news I kinda thought that based on our country you are likely to either get burnt, shot or stoned if you look at the protests, toy toying etc.

So if you have to put togehtether a personal medic kit, small like something that would fit in a 200x200mm pouch, what would the essentials be for the kit?

User

As a newbie to first aid, I'd like to tag along for the responses.
    Beware the killer ræbbit of Caerbannog! Look, that ræbbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide. It's a killer!!! He's got huge, sharp... eh, he can leap about... LOOK AT THE BONES!!!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw&sns=em[/URL]

Default Re: Personal Medic Kit

Number one if you are gonna be working with guns is small sized unscented tampons, seriousely !!!

Then gloves,elastoplast{100mm roll type, cause youn cut any shape/lenght you need}, gauze,eyepatch,scissors', artery clamp,Tweezer,quickclot,burnsheild.

If the bag is slightly larger take a vaculitre and admin set,savlon/detol,syringe to irregate eye injuries. If you have some medical backround and know about sterility a urinary catheter might very well be your best inverstment. {Injury dependant of course}

Thats enough from me, other can add some meat

User

Quote Originally Posted by Marcv View Post
    Number one if you are gonna be working with guns is small sized unscented tampons, seriousely !!!
    I have heard of the use of tampons for gunshot wounds, but don't you think that this could cause additional tissue damage?
    I have yet to meet someone who actually shoved a tampon into a gunshot wound, yet alone be there when it was removed!
    If it should remain in place long enough for coagulation to properly set in, I can only imagine the trauma of removing that lump from the wound...
    Won't wound dressing and pressure bandages be sufficient of am I wrong in the assumption of additional trauma?
    My medical knowledge is not that advanced - would be great to pick the brain of an Paramedic or trauma doctor regarding this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacq View Post
    I have heard of the use of tampons for gunshot wounds, but don't you think that this could cause additional tissue damage?
    I have yet to meet someone who actually shoved a tampon into a gunshot wound, yet alone be there when it was removed!
    If it should remain in place long enough for coagulation to properly set in, I can only imagine the trauma of removing that lump from the wound...
    Won't wound dressing and pressure bandages be sufficient of am I wrong in the assumption of additional trauma?
    My medical knowledge is not that advanced - would be great to pick the brain of an Paramedic or trauma doctor regarding this.
    Jacq

Lets keep it in context guy's, you are not going to fire a 3006 bullet from a 308 gun just because they both have .308 diameters. The tool needs to fit the jod, so yes tampons wont help squat if you are hit by a 9mm at 100yrds, but what if a 300BLK knocks you in the but at 20yrds ??? Lets be slightly realistic when comming to the application of items.

The same goes for the urinary catheter and condom use. If your hand got mutilated by a point blank shotgun wound you would be applying layer after layer of gauze and it might still be seeping through. If you had a condom with you, you could apply the condon over your second layer of dressings and the isolation and adde pressure will surely help aid in forming a clot and plugging the hole.

It might be helpfull to carry some items, even if the chances of you using them are slim, the day you whish you hand one is the day you realise to late

My opion and experience only. This aint law neither medically proven by any study. Use it dont...use it

KK20

Nice pack you've got there, that glucose can save a life in a matter of seconds

User

Quote Originally Posted by Marcv View Post
    Jacq

Lets keep it in context guy's, you are not going to fire a 3006 bullet from a 308 gun just because they both have .308 diameters. The tool needs to fit the jod, so yes tampons wont help squat if you are hit by a 9mm at 100yrds, but what if a 300BLK knocks you in the but at 20yrds ??? Lets be slightly realistic when comming to the application of items.

The same goes for the urinary catheter and condom use. If your hand got mutilated by a point blank shotgun wound you would be applying layer after layer of gauze and it might still be seeping through. If you had a condom with you, you could apply the condon over your second layer of dressings and the isolation and adde pressure will surely help aid in forming a clot and plugging the hole.

It might be helpfull to carry some items, even if the chances of you using them are slim, the day you whish you hand one is the day you realise to late

My opion and experience only. This aint law neither medically proven by any study. Use it dont...use it

KK20

Nice pack you've got there, that glucose can save a life in a matter of seconds
    Hey Marcv

You will notice that I haven't attacked you're post, was specifically questioning the resulting trauma from using a tampon in a gunshot wound.
    I agree that survival and stopping the bleeding should be your top priorities, and that you make use with what you have available at that moment.

We all try our best to be prepared for the unforeseen medical or other emergency situation, but cannot really be without having your own mobile trauma unit.

I am more concerned what damage the seriously uninformed or possible shithouse-warriors could do running around with tampons, Leatherman & a lighter......
    If the tampon doesn't work quickly enough they use the Leatherman to pull a bullet and cauterize a wound by burning gunpowder in it.....

Seriously?? Tampons?? I would never have thought of that!

User

Lady pads too. Prefect for wound dressing.

User

Or so I've been told.

Yup just get the smallest you can find, cause they are gonna expand quite a bit. {and unscented, you dont wanne save the guy today but effectively kill him in three weeks time due to infection} Plugs a hole like nothen else....mmmm....maybe a urinary catheter

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast