Default State of the state gun-wise in the US for 2012-13

I spent yesterday in a Glock Armorer's Course at our Academy, and during the course of the day had an opportunity to discuss many things gun-related with 35 other cops and trainers who are also gun-guys.

What I learned cannot be explained away as the rantings of basement bound wannabe Rambo's or commercial dealers trying to ramp up an artificial scare so they can sell more stuff, nor of internet rumors.

These are the facts as related by cops who are responsible for testing, procurement and maintenence of department firearms and ammunition as well as, in many cases, in charge of their agencies' firearms training.

As of yesterday around noon, Glock was some 640,000 guns behind in orders. Both Colt and Ruger have gone past 1,000,000 guns backordered and have now stopped taking any new orders. S&W is also way behind but not with all its' lines, mainly the M&P series rifles and pistols.

All first tier AR manufacturers are almost sold out of stock, to include high quality parts such as bolts. bolt carriers, etc. and delivery times from many are no longer even quoted to customers...you get it when you get it.

Ammunition is mostly backordered for around 12 months currently...even training ammo. Agencies are still (this has not changed much since 2008 actually) having to order a year in advance to be certain of stock for training and reissue duty ammo.

No one in the business can predict where all this will go, or when it will end, but certainly no one sees things getting substansially better for the next 10-12 months given the US elections coming up among other things.

Where does this leave you good members? Just my opinion, but if I knew I wanted a SD or HD gun and could possibly find the funds, I would bend whatever finances I could to get it now along with some spare mags and any other support parts I decided I needed (a spare extractor and spring, recoil springs, etc.).

For hobby users all this is just an inconvience, but for those who need serious weapons and ammo, it looks like the next year is gonna be a bumpy ride.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Default Re: State of the state gun-wise in the US for 2012-13

Thanks for the heads-up Ikor - much appreciated!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]