Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Sports adventure shooting 9 June 2012. L1 + Regular Training

Yeah, thanks all for a good day's training and fun shooting.

It was cold, but at Sas you don't get to stand still long enough to really notice. The insides remained freezing though. ;o)

Level one for 2012 achieved - thanks Camo for the help in zeroing the LM on Friday.

Then some crawling and accuracy tests - quite satisfying to pop a fluttering balloon at 100m and put a few more on target.

The wounded man recoveries were hard work and taught a lot in terms of what works and what makes your life difficult.

Then up front for some more carbine drills and some two-man advancing and retreating.

We then played at shooting from the back of a vehicle (lessons learnt: 1) don't expect any form of accuracy and 2) shooting is one thing, but clearing a stoppage from the back of a moving, bouncing bakkie is pretty much impossible).

This was rounded off with a couple of debus- and embus-runs (or in Gidsie's case, debum and embum! ;o).

Good training, good fun and some valuable lessons learnt. As always the 30 seconds pow-wow after each drill allowed us to sum these up.

Those with NSA DSS got to shoot their required targets and we all made a tactical retreat to the fire and the beers.

Great day and looking forward to the next one!

What a cool day, well actually a very cold day, but none the less a great one. Its good to train with your gear in a real world situation as it quickly exposes weaknesses with what you have. As mentioned already, good quality grab handles are essential as are good slings and holsters and hydration packs. Gloves that keep your hands warm, can take some abuse, and are still usefull when you need to shoot are a very good investment, as are knee pads, as some folks realized. I must get some !

A quick shout out to young David O, who is now the youngest level 1 at 16yrs old. Well done Lad!

User

Yes Congrats David!

User

Yes, it was indeed a chilly morning but all who were there seemed to survive the ordeal. Well done to those hardy men and ladies.

Also, well done to the guys who made it through the L1. There was some good markmanship on display and the pass rate was very high. Only one participant was let down by having a rifle not sighted in properly but weel done to him for sorting that out and doing the whole excersize again and passing the second time around. Nice to see that level of commitment and staying power.

The braai afterwards was good fun and finished off an enjoyable day.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Despite being abandoned by our sub-continental cuzzins (with their promises of internal combusting snacks), us hardy wit ous made it out there and shivered our bums off.

Congrats to the new L1s (especially Chris S who did the whole exercise twice!).

Was interesting being briefed on Friday evening's rela life scenario.
    I'm a non-reflective at PDPC, called "non-white" at JDPC, and now Sub-Continental at Funky Town... *sigh*...

Couldn't make it on saturday. My kid hasn't been well and we had to get her hospitalized on saturday. She at home, just not lekker seeing a 1-year old so miserable.

Please wish her speedy recovery.

I'm also gonna do the next one twice... Hehe

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    My kid hasn't been well and we had to get her hospitalized on saturday. She at home, just not lekker seeing a 1-year old so miserable.
    Glad to hear she's on the mend. Wasn't really pushing your buttons. More directed at KB who used your family medical emergency to sleep in on Saturday ;-{>}
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Couple of pics...

It was cold:

Finishing off the L1:
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
    My kid hasn't been well and we had to get her hospitalized on saturday. She at home, just not lekker seeing a 1-year old so miserable.
    Sorry to hear LR - didn't know it was that bad.

She'll be in my prayers - keep us updated bud.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    Couple of pics...

It was cold:

Finishing off the L1:

Russian Space Station

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Glad to hear she's on the mend. Wasn't really pushing your buttons. More directed at KB who used your family medical emergency to sleep in on Saturday ;-{>}
    Fortunately my buttons don't get pressed in a hurry... I was merely lamenting on the attraction and attention.

And Killabeez is suffering from a serious case of Lazy-ass-Syndrome.

What was covered in the training time?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast