Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Finalization of Firearm Applications within 90 working days - SAPS

Hope this apply for applications reveived before 29-5-2012 as well! Then mine must be out last week. Ha-ha

User

I know legally armed has been aware of this for at least 2 weeks. My .22 app went in on 18 April and is currently at consideration. So there is a definite increase at SAPS.

User

Well, my last app took five months from application to approval... but it's been more than two months and the licence is still not printed.

90 days per step is probably more realistic :-)

Seriously. I believe they are trying to achieve 90 day turnaround. Unfortunately the whole system is stacked against them. The Act was not designed to be easy, the Act is a baroque exercise in red tape which would make Sir Humphrey proud.

User

Remember that there are normally only 20 "working" days in a calendar month. So 5 (4.5?) months seems to be the actual target.

User

What pains me a lot is that there is no consistency. My before last application only took 5 weeks to be approved. My newest application has been sitting at the local DFO for almost a month now and still shows as "unpaid" on the system, which is of course not true.

Quote Originally Posted by swartkobus View Post
    Hi would like to share this with you all in regards with firearm applications. The email circulated to all SAPS officials. It states that SAPS has 90 working days to finalize all firearm applications.

The letter circulated 29.05.2012 hereunder.

The 90 days period is unpacked as follows:

Station Level
    The applications received by various stations must be forwarded to the Provincial Office within six (6) weeks after being captured on the system.

Provincial Level
    After receiving of applications from stations the Province must conduct a quality check and the applications must be forwarded to Central Firearm Register within two (2) weeks after receipt from the station with a forwarding schedule.

Central Firearm Register
    Applications received at Central Firearms Register must be finalized within four (4) weeks after receipt from the Province.

Approved applications - Card Printed
    Refused applications - Refusal Letter (Typed)

All printed cards must be collected from the Central Firearms Register within two (2) weeks after being finalized by Central Firearms Register and the cards must be collected or delivered within two (2) weeks after being finalized by Central Firearms Register or Provincial Office.

All refusal letters must be posted within two (2) weeks after being finalized by Central Firearms Register.

Where an applicant or non-official institution collected his/her card(s) from Central Firearms Register, the relevant Section Commander from Central Firearms Register must be notify the relevant Provincial Commander in writing in order to close off the SAPS 86 register.
    Would be very helpful is I can get hold of a copy of this letter, in the light of the upcoming court cases.

Interesting how the 3 months / 12 weeks / 90 days has since changed to 90 "working days" as per the submissions to parliament.

And then they are seemingly not always working on any days?

User

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    Would be very helpful is I can get hold of a copy of this letter, in the light of the upcoming court cases.

Interesting how the 3 months / 12 weeks / 90 days has since changed to 90 "working days" as per the submissions to parliament.

And then they are seemingly not always working on any days?
    Its now changed to 3-4 months from when it arrives at CFR, as per my last discussion with them on Friday. Basically they said the 90 days no longer applies. When I asked for them to query my app, I was told that they can only query if the app has been at CFR for longer than 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by sa-shooter View Post
    Its now changed to 3-4 months from when it arrives at CFR, as per my last discussion with them on Friday. Basically they said the 90 days no longer applies. When I asked for them to query my app, I was told that they can only query if the app has been at CFR for longer than 3 months.
    Sadly bullshit seems to have a way of becoming self-perpetuating with each repetition. Seems they're already believing their own BS.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by MTTSS View Post
    YES! Please mail me at paul@tacshac.co.za
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver_WP View Post
    Sadly bullshit seems to have a way of becoming self-perpetuating with each repetition. Seems they're already believing their own BS.
    THIS^^^^

It's 90 ORDINARY days, and it's from the moment you submit at your DFO to when you get your license/refusal.

Simple, finish and klaar!

Anything other than this is just confused misunderstanding perpetuated as a vain attempt to excuse inefficiency.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast