User

Default Spyderco Endura 4 Grey Wave

IMG_0991.jpg IMG_0993.jpg IMG_0995.jpg

So my Spiderco Endura 4 is here, purchased from the guys and girls at Sharp Edge. On first impressions, I'm happy. In the comfort of my office, it's an easy knife to open one handed, and while the grip feels somewhat cheap, is well textured and an excellent size. I also like the the grooves cut into the top edge of the grip and onto the tang above and behind the hole provided for one handed opening. It allows good, solid contact with the knife.

Reversing my grip, the dimensions again give me a sensation of having solid contact with the knife, with the taper on the back of the grip providing a nice place to rest my thumb, which as with the grooves on the tang, will hopefully prevent my hand slipping onto the sharp stuff if I ever have to use it in anger.

I was surprised at the thickness of the blade, which looks like a good, strong piece of metal. The cutting edge is nice and long, and I've always loved a blade that tapers into a nice spear point. It just needs an edge, badly. As a keen cook, I have Global chef's knives at home that will take a finger so cleanly it'd take you a minute to realise you've just sliced off a digit, so this thing feels about as sharp as a piece of rebar steel.

An additional bonus is the fact that it has a bottle opener, so that the next time I encounter a violent bottle of golden nectar, I have a handy tool to disable it and attack the contents. Conveniently, I can get at the opener without opening the blade, as after I've battled against a few lagers, I could probably do myself some damage waving a keen edge around.

All in all, this is an good piece of kit, and a decent purchase for an EDC SD knife.

(Missed some irony - wearing a plaster while photographing a new knife...)

User

Default Re: Spyderco Endura 4 Grey Wave

Not to mention the wave feature that lets you open the knife against your pocket with one hand in a split second.

Yeehaa, congrats.

2 notes:
    1. It is NOT a bottle opener, it is the "wave" feature that is also in the name. Put the knife into your pocket with the "bottle opener" facing backwards. Pull the knife out, keeping your fingers on the sides only and not in the way of the blade. The hook will catch the corner of your pocket, and as you keep drawing it will open the blade for you. Some practice is required to do it correctly every time, but it is the fastest way of deploying a folding knife. (Maybe you were just joking about the whole bottle opener thing, I'm not sure )

2. Get blade training. Seriously, you will learn SO much that you would not have thought of by yourself, and you'll realise just how effective a blade can be. Your thumb should rather not rest on top of the blade, but be clamped to close to your index finger, for better retention.

Congrats on a brilliant knife, though!

User

It also functions as as bottle opener :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Yeehaa, congrats.

2 notes:
    1. It is NOT a bottle opener...(Maybe you were just joking about the whole bottle opener thing, I'm not sure )
    Erm...I'm an ignorant bastard Skaaphaas, a properly ignorant bastard. I'll go back under my rock now, after taking a moment to thank you for enlightening me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    2. Get blade training. Seriously, you will learn SO much that you would not have thought of by yourself, and you'll realise just how effective a blade can be. Your thumb should rather not rest on top of the blade, but be clamped to close to your index finger, for better retention.

Congrats on a brilliant knife, though!
    I will do. And thanks. Bought it based on the recommendations made here

Nice blade. I am a fan of Spyderco and own several. In spite of the fact that I own blades costing several times as much, I seem to always return to my Endura for EDC.

(But I admit I just bought both an Emerson CQC-8 and a Horseman!)

Conga Rats!
    Last edited by ikor; 10-06-2012 at 02:59.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Been practicing with the "bottle opener". Works pretty well for opening the knife too...

Now for a Ka-Bar cutlass Machete for my ZA kit. I wish I could get my hands on a proper Fairbairn-Sykes commando knife.

Quote Originally Posted by pstevensza View Post
    Been practicing with the "bottle opener". Works pretty well for opening the knife too...

Now for a Ka-Bar cutlass Machete for my ZA kit. I wish I could get my hands on a proper Fairbairn-Sykes commando knife.
    The Fairbairn-Sykes is highly over rated and except for straight stabs or using in the proscribed manner Commandos were taught to remove sentries via a throat stab and then a sideways rip, not good for much at all. Far better blades out there today...
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    The Fairbairn-Sykes is highly over rated and except for straight stabs or using in the proscribed manner Commandos were taught to remove sentries via a throat stab and then a sideways rip, not good for much at all. Far better blades out there today...
    I know, but I consider it a classic. My dad has one, thanks to work he did years ago on stab proof coatings for standard kevlar vests as part of an R&D project for Safariland. It's something I'd put in a display case for keep sake purposes.