Default >38 Spec ammo fired thru .357 magnum

Morning all.
    Will firing .38 Special ammo thru a .357 Colt Python have any long term effects on the Colt?
    Thanks

Default Re: >38 Spec ammo fired thru .357 magnum

Yes. Extended use will cause a lead ring to build up in the chambers, eventually preventing .357 from being chambered. The hot gases can also damage the chambers.

I'd avoid it. Particularly with a Python.

Reload .38 level ammo in .357 cases.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

I agree with SSP however, if you clean the chambers properly after every shoot the copper/lead/fouling ring will be removed allowing for .357Mag case use but the damage due to flame cutting (if any) cannot be reversed.
    FWIW, I have used 38/357 brass in both my 357's for many years without a hiccup and I don't have any permanent damage to the chambers

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Preacher
    I agree with SSP however, if you clean the chambers properly after every shoot the copper/lead/fouling ring will be removed allowing for .357Mag case use but the damage due to flame cutting (if any) cannot be reversed.
    FWIW, I have used 38/357 brass in both my 357's for many years without a hiccup and I don't have any permanent damage to the chambers
    Would you do it with your Python? (if you had one)
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

It's only a Python... if it picks up any damage, it's not as good as you think it is :-)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocke
    Will firing .38 Special ammo thru a .357 Colt Python have any long term effects on the Colt?
    Jabberwocke, I have fired a SHITLOAD of .38 ammo through all of my .357's from 1000's of light snubby loads to 1000's of FULL house SD and pins loads with nary a blip as have many of my revolver chommies. Clean your chambers properly and regularly and your good to go. You can't avoid flame-cutting in a wheelgun and it exists in various places over and above the chambers. You will never as an ordinary or even competition shooter shooting ordinary loads, shoot your cylinder broken by shooting .38's through a .357 (esp. a Colt). I carry these same revolvers with .357 ammo so I'd notice any discrepancy.

Quote Originally Posted by deonh
    Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocke
    Jabberwocke, I have fired a SHITLOAD of .38 ammo through all of my .357's from 1000's of light snubby loads to 1000's of FULL house SD and pins loads with nary a blip as have many of my revolver chommies. Clean your chambers properly and regularly and your good to go. You can't avoid flame-cutting in a wheelgun and it exists in various places over and above the chambers. You will never as an ordinary or even competition shooter shooting ordinary loads, shoot your cylinder broken by shooting .38's through a .357 (esp. a Colt). I carry these same revolvers with .357 ammo so I'd notice any discrepancy.
    Pretty much this. The Python is one of the strongest 'standard sized' revolvers ever built (the strongest, ounce for ounce is almost certainly the later Colt Trooper Mk III but the Ruger GP 100 is a bull too) and I know of several with 50-70,000+ rounds of both .38 and .357 through them. My personal opinion is also that it is the best production revolver ever made as well (1000 or more built each year) but some of the early post war S&W N frames would run it a very tight race there...the M27 for sure. If you want to look at it...and to my eyes the best looking revolver ever built is the 6in blued version...you can do that, but it will hold up fine to lots of use provided you keep it clean and well maintained.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Thanks for all the input guys. I think i'll stick to the proper loads.