Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default COLT Series 70 MK.IV .45ACP Pistol

Hi there everybody.I recently bought a 2nd hand COLT Series 70 MK.IV .45ACP pistol, and would like to here from the experienced guys what you think of this pistol.Handguns are entirely new to me, however i do own a couple of hunting rifles and do my own reloading.Is there anyone that could possibly supply me with reloading data for the .45ACP cartridge as i will be doing my own reloading for this gun to?Possibly advise me on make/type of ammunition, powders and load ratings to use for the colt.I presume there will be someone that has done all the R&D on reloading for this gun.It is fitted with a compensator and a match grade barrel.I will be registering it for self defense, however wish to use it for sport shooting as well.Regards to allRichard

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: COLT Series 70 MK.IV .45ACP Pistol

Nice gun
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Reloading data is available from somchem. A good gunshop should have their manuals for sale.

Replace all the springs in the gun as cheap insurance.

As its a SD gun, remove the comp.

Depending on what discipline you want to shoot the comp may not be a legal modification.

230grain ball ammo / bullets for reloading. As ssp said, the somchem reloading manual will have all the relevant info.

Good gun. Use it for sport and maybe consider something else for SD, EDC.Also search this site for reloading data.

User

hi there richard

take a lok at the somchem book, it will help a lot. for my remington 1911 and glock 21 i use 5.5gr s121 and frontier 230gr rn bullets and it works for me(use at own risk). length as per the somchem manual. one can also use mp200 and ms200 but it depends on you for what you want to use. i find that mp200 leaves too much unburnt powder in my guns.

hope this helps

cheers david.
    once again my loads are what i developed in my guns use at your own risk. always remember start at the minimum and work your way up to or beyond my loads. a chrony is also a big help. avergae speeds are +-880fps
    Last edited by King David; 02-01-2012 at 20:40. Reason: added some more info

User

Hi David.

I got my Norinco .45 double stack a week before Xmas and i will also have to start with reloading because of cost. Thanks for the above info. I will need a hell of a lot more in the future wherever i can get it.

Banned

Well here is my 2c as well. I have the same kind of gun awaiting approval from CFR. However what I'm currently loading in my Colt 1911 and Remington Rand is 230gr RN on 5.4gr of MS200. Works like a charm.

However if you are planning to keep the comp just remember that mild loads negate the use of a comp. If the bullet isn't really traveling really fast the comp is worthless. So as David advised use a Chrony and see what you get. If you get rid of the comp the my recipe is sound and well within the Somchem manual.

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    Nice gun
    + 1
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Reloading data is available from somchem. A good gunshop should have their manuals for sale.Replace all the springs in the gun as cheap insurance.As its a SD gun, remove the comp.
    This.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast