Greetings all...

I recently bought a second hand Colt Series 70 MKIV government model .45ACP pistol from a gun shop in Capetown.

My knowledge pertaining to handguns are limited, hence this is my first handgun.
However I do have knowledge of rifles and have been shooting bolt action and lever action rifles for some time, and also do my own reloading.

Could all you handgun boffins out there maybe give me some feedback and recommendations for this gun.

Attached you will find some pictures of my pistol.

Here is what i know about it.
  • It is a original (not a copy) full size colt pistol based on the 1911 A1 principle.
  • It has a Wilson .45ACP barrel and fixed compensatory.
  • Aftermarket beaver tail safety, aftermarket slide lock and some sort of adjustable trigger.

I have shot 50 rounds of S&B 230grain FMJ, as well as 100 rounds of 230grain lead cast bullets obtained at Taurus indoor range (their range ammo) and then 100 rounds of my own home loaded ammo, using also 230grain Josyd lead projectiles, 5.6grain of MP200 (50 off) and same 230grain Josyd with 5.8grain of MP200 (50 off).

I found the higher of my two home loaded loads to of had worked the best.
The gun had a sharp, crisp response to the 5.8grains of mp200 powder and the 230grain projectiles.
With all other ammo I experienced frequent jams.

This gun is equipped with a fixed braised on compensator that eliminates the original barrel bushing and locking mechanism.
The rear of the compensator is ramped, and when the slide is fully forward it seats directly onto the ramped area of the compensator.

I have compared the gun to a friend of mines .45ACP Norinco compact, and my slide seems to feel a bit more looser than his when in closed position.
Could this be due to the fact that i am not using conventional barrel bushings or is my gun just used more?

I was looking for a hand gun in the .45 caliber class and came across this one, thought the price was right and bought it.
Now I need your expertise and experience to fine tune it.

They were asking R4500 and I made a cash offer for R4000, so I dont think I paid to much.

Also would you recommend removing the comp and could any one recommend a gunsmith that would do a good job to convert it back to standard barrel bushing format?

Kind regards
Richard