Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: New SANDF Rifle

Maybe they will subsidise the new ones by selling the old? hpy180

Quote Originally Posted by kurly
    IMO it will probably depend on which supplier offers the "heaviest" handshake nj

;)

User

Quote Originally Posted by hmostert1
    Trust me. The SADF will use up all the current resources and then it's back to the iron-age methods of fighting ;D

Maybe, just maybe AK'S from their new best friend, China.

I'm inclined to agree with you, we supposedly have a shitload of new R4's & R5's in storage.
    As for caliber, I don't see SANDF/SAPS shifting from the establised .223 (and again, we have plenty floating around).

Quote Originally Posted by Gidsie
    that Production can easily be restarted if need be.
    I think this statement is incorrect as Denel does not have the license rights to produce these rifles anymore and I do not think that we would go and do this move from a international point of view.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

look at it the bright side , SANDF may get HK's , SIG's or even american rifles if its all up for grabs
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    I think this statement is incorrect as Denel does not have the license rights to produce these rifles anymore and I do not think that we would go and do this move from a international point of view.
    I would not be too sure that Denel did not still hold a licence for production (unless you have inside information), and while international patent laws are very complicated, all patents expire sooner or later. Internationally, some require issue of a compulsory license to anyone who applies if no production has taken place within 3 years in the original country of filing. Israel has not produced the Galil in some time now for domestic use, but may have for export. It is also produced in Colombia under licence by Indumil.

If there are, indeed, some new R4s still in the wrap out there, they would probably not be enough to reissue all troops with, but they certainly could be used by SAPS or some SANDF units such as artillery, etc. Magazines I have seen are often worn out or cracked and the guns in poor shape. The fact that they usually still work is an amazing testament to its designers and the men at Denel who built it.

If I was the Italians, with their 'in' already with the Beretta 92F and the licensed shotguns I would be pushing the new Beretta assault rifle hard to the SANDF.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Ikor, I don't think it will be bad if Beretta push through their assualt rifles, I am just angry that I am not a high ranking officer scoring a trip to Italy, for business purposes of course confused0083

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    I would not be too sure that Denel did not still hold a licence for production (unless you have inside information), and while international patent laws are very complicated, all patents expire sooner or later. Internationally, some require issue of a compulsory license to anyone who applies if no production has taken place within 3 years in the original country of filing. Israel has not produced the Galil in some time now for domestic use, but may have for export. It is also produced in Colombia under licence by Indumil.

If there are, indeed, some new R4s still in the wrap out there, they would probably not be enough to reissue all troops with, but they certainly could be used by SAPS or some SANDF units such as artillery, etc. Magazines I have seen are often worn out or cracked and the guns in poor shape. The fact that they usually still work is an amazing testament to its designers and the men at Denel who built it.

If I was the Italians, with their 'in' already with the Beretta 92F and the licensed shotguns I would be pushing the new Beretta assault rifle hard to the SANDF.
    The rumour mill has it that because of the current govts pro palestinian policy the licenses were revoked. This is just rumour and I cannot make guarantee to the veracity of this claim.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    Quote Originally Posted by ikor

The rumour mill has it that because of the current govts pro palestinian policy the licenses were revoked. This is just rumour and I cannot make guarantee to the veracity of this claim.
    I'm not surprised at all, sounds very plausible to me. One thing I'm fairly sure of, is that the .223 caliber will remain, we have the production facilities to produce it in large quantities and there is enough stockpiled in SANDF armoury. I highly doubt the SANDF would switch over to 7.62x39, don't think we have the production facilities to produce it locally?

User

Guys !!!!! List your top 3 replacement rifles for the SANDF. (Not what you want but what S.A will go for)

1. HK
    2. Barreta
    3. Scar

I think they will settle on an European manufacturer ,non U.S
    Now that I think about it , I think they will also settle for a Piston driven weapon.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast