Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SD/EDC Knife

Default SD/EDC Knife

Hi guys,

been searching the forum but not getting too much info. I am the Skeletool CX guy :-D. Due to a few experienced members changing my mind... I atill have not bought a knife. I can't decide what to go for.

I am going to get a CRKT N.E.C.K. (cord wrapped) for deep concealment.

But for an EDC I am not sure what to go for. The M16 range from CRKT are within my budget. Other cash is being channeled for bullets to attend BigT's course. I currently have a Gerber knockoff, works well for day to day tasks.

I use a knife for most things, but will almost never abuse it. Also if the need arises, use it for SD, still need to find some training. Vereeniging is dry when it comes to that!

My questions are:

Tanto or drop point blade?
    Size?
    Where do you put this blade? I normally have it clipped inside my right pocket.

What do you guys suggest?

I quite like these M16 blades from CRKT.

Thanks guys! Budget is limited.

Default Re: SD/EDC Knife

If you like the M16, go for it. I prefer a drop point for slicing, but I prefer the look of the tanto. So I don't have a tanto knife. Clipped inside right pocket, I also carry a Byrd Hawkbill clipped in my left pocket. Its uses are limited but it can be very effective (In my view is was almost purpose made to cut hands and fingers).

Size? As big as you feel comfortable with. The longer the blade, the more reach you have. The shorter it is, the better it conceals. So get a compromise between the two (like a G19, then). I'm not too worried about people seeing me carrying a knife, I can blame it on having to cut open boxes.

Oh for deep concealment, ditch the neck knife. Clip your knife IWB behind your belt buckle. If you then set off a metal detector, blame it on the buckle.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

M16's are great. try get one of the models where the crossguard will catch your pants pocket and open the blade as you draw. pocket carry is great for quick access but not truly concealed (I have a few sneay ideas that I have been meaning to do a post about, with pics)

I've said it ad nauseum, but my personal preference for SD is fixed blade (grab and stab- no fine or complex motor skill manipulation under stress. this is where the pocket 'wave' opening can help in with a folder) Even though modern folders are great quality, to me complexity always adds failure points. not much can fail with a solid bit of metal with some handle slabs on the sides.

I'm currently carrying a CRKT Dragon which is a Bob Kasper design and loving it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by h0stag3 View Post
    Hi guys,

been searching the forum but not getting too much info. I am the Skeletool CX guy :-D. Due to a few experienced members changing my mind... I atill have not bought a knife. I can't decide what to go for.

I am going to get a CRKT N.E.C.K. (cord wrapped) for deep concealment.

But for an EDC I am not sure what to go for. The M16 range from CRKT are within my budget. Other cash is being channeled for bullets to attend BigT's course. I currently have a Gerber knockoff, works well for day to day tasks.

I use a knife for most things, but will almost never abuse it. Also if the need arises, use it for SD, still need to find some training. Vereeniging is dry when it comes to that!

My questions are:

Tanto or drop point blade?
    Size?
    Where do you put this blade? I normally have it clipped inside my right pocket.

What do you guys suggest?

I quite like these M16 blades from CRKT.

Thanks guys! Budget is limited.
    I have an M16 10z which is the tanto blade. For me the everyday use of the knife came first and possible SD 2nd.

It has a good cutting edge and some serrations near the back which are handy.

I clip it inside my right pocket.

One nice feature is that it as a little notch where you can flick it out with your finger (after a while you can just flick the blade out without touching the finger thing, doesnt take too much practice).

In terms of abusing it, I decided that I would keep my boker for easier jobs at home and I bought the m16 for something that if it got lost/broken/destroyed/abused I would just buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    If you like the M16, go for it. I prefer a drop point for slicing, but I prefer the look of the tanto. So I don't have a tanto knife. Clipped inside right pocket, I also carry a Byrd Hawkbill clipped in my left pocket. Its uses are limited but it can be very effective (In my view is was almost purpose made to cut hands and fingers).

Size? As big as you feel comfortable with. The longer the blade, the more reach you have. The shorter it is, the better it conceals. So get a compromise between the two (like a G19, then). I'm not too worried about people seeing me carrying a knife, I can blame it on having to cut open boxes.

Oh for deep concealment, ditch the neck knife. Clip your knife IWB behind your belt buckle. If you then set off a metal detector, blame it on the buckle.
    Thanks Skaaphaas!

Was thinking that neck knife comes with a carry system for belt, so will figure out :-D

Carrying a knife doesnt bug anyone near me. I use a knife a lot!

Cut hands and fingers, I figured that out to be spiteful! haha!

Thanks again! Just need some experienced views to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by h0stag3 View Post
    Cut hands and fingers, I figured that out to be spiteful! haha!
    Not at all. Cut your attacker's hands, because they will likely be the closest thing to you. To be able to cut his body or neck, you have to get close enough for him to reach you too. He will likely use his hands to harm you, so put them out of action, and then GTFO of there. The hawkbill as a nice way of grabbing onto a finger, and a simple rearward pull makes it bite deeper. Unfortunately that's about it, it's less than useless for stabbing or cuts to the torso.

Last edited by Skaaphaas; 28-06-2012 at 16:07.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

The M-16 Series is nice and I agree with Skaaphaas, drop point is better for everyday use. Which M-16 are you looking at?

Wow! Thanks guys! I was eyeing the M16 10kz, nice size, but the bigger ones are definitely more intimidating!

p2w, yes, you mention that a lot :-D, but it is the truth. I had a very stressful situation a month ago and those fine motor skills disappeared.

pdh, you have roughly the same views as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Not at all. Cut your attackers hands, because they will likely be the closest thing to you. To be able to cut his body or neck, you have to get close enough for him to reach you too. He will likely use his hands to harm you, so put them out of action, and then GTFO of there. The hawkbill as a nice way of grabbing onto a finger, and a simple rearward pull makes it bite deeper. Unfortunately that's about it, it's less than useless for stabbing or cuts to the torso.

That is what I meant, if, with my limited knife fighting skills I were to fight, I woukd be spiteful(and tactical) and cut his hands.

I read a post where you mentioned that knife, thought the "hook" was weird, but has good uses if paired with another blade for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Brand View Post
    The M-16 Series is nice and I agree with Skaaphaas, drop point is better for everyday use. Which M-16 are you looking at?
    Dirk, was looking at the tanto blade, must admit. With serrations. The M16 10KZ, but for the bigger one maybe a M16-14ZSF. But it is a larger knife.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast