Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Ruger African .375 Ruger vs Win M70 .375 H&H

What would you choose and why? The Ruger goes for about R13k and the Win for about R18-20k.

Lets leave the availability of .375 Ruger cases out of this discussion.

Is the finish and quality of the Win that much better?

User

Default Re: Ruger African .375 Ruger vs Win M70 .375 H&H

From rifles i have seen so far the Winchester looks much better finished and the Winchester action feels much smoother to me than the Ruger. I would pay the bit extra and get a Winchester.

User

Ja Piet, just buy the Winchester and fit a Leupold vx3 1.5-5x20. Seriously, both are lovely rifles. The new Winchester Safari Express I handled had lovely workmanship, close to a Sako. The new winchesters also have a reputation for seriously good accuracy. Not sure how the mag capacity on the two compares. That is where a cz has the edge with a full 5 rounds.

User

As much as I like the Ruger, I have to say the Winchester has the edge when it comes to workmanship. In my personal opinion I dont see the benefit of having a 375Ruger, IMO there is already a 375 and it was made by Holland and Holland What real gain is there really in having your action 2 inches or so shorter. Just my opinion.

User

The Winchester might be better finished than the Ruger but the question is if you want one that performs better or looks prettier? There is a very good reason to have the action 2" shorter....its so you can reload while the rifle is shouldered without having to move your face (keeping the animal in the sights/crosshairs). When hunting dangerous game this is an advantage, it might just mean the difference between a dead buffalo and dead hunter. With the Ruger only recently making it's appearance on the market, i do see some advantages over the Winchester that might push me in its direction

Higher Velocity - harder hitting and flatter trajectory
    Shorter Action - Quicker reloading
    Modern case design - you do not waste any energy

The Ruger is a good example of modern technology in firearm development. They did not blindly copy something, they put a lot of time and effort into the cartridge and i.m.o. they improved on all the .375 cartridges

User

I have never short stroked my .375H&H or my .416 Rigby.
    That being said, my other rifles are a 243 and a 308 - both relatively short actions.

My honest opinion is to stick to the H&H where you can walk into any gunshop and buy ammo.
    The Ruger is not "tried and tested" yet.
    Weigh up the pro's and cons of each calibre, then once you've decided you can choose a rifle.
    BTW - my 308 is a ruger and my 375 was a winchester
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by 308FN View Post
    The Winchester might be better finished than the Ruger but the question is if you want one that performs better or looks prettier? There is a very good reason to have the action 2" shorter....its so you can reload while the rifle is shouldered without having to move your face (keeping the animal in the sights/crosshairs). When hunting dangerous game this is an advantage, it might just mean the difference between a dead buffalo and dead hunter. With the Ruger only recently making it's appearance on the market, i do see some advantages over the Winchester that might push me in its direction

Higher Velocity - harder hitting and flatter trajectory
    Shorter Action - Quicker reloading
    Modern case design - you do not waste any energy

The Ruger is a good example of modern technology in firearm development. They did not blindly copy something, they put a lot of time and effort into the cartridge and i.m.o. they improved on all the .375 cartridges
    I agree, the Ruger is the better cartridge. Rifle wise it seems the Win is better. So best solution would be the Win M70 chambered for .375 Ruger.

As far as I know the Winchester is controlled feed and the Ruger not. Hunting dangerous game I will go for controlled feed. IMHO controlled feed more is more important than action length.

Ruger .375 is controlled feed.

I would take the Ruger just because it's a Ruger. I took one in .416 . License pending.

User

The 375 Ruger is a great calibre. Many of my hunting clients use it and it always performs very well. I dont like belted cartridges, so the 375 ruger is my choice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast