Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mini Red Dot on LM

Quote Originally Posted by paulatadventures

Any halfway decent fabricating shop should be able to run up the rails out of a piece of ally stock... might even be easier to start with a piece of ally thick-walled square tubing, certainly cheaper. Machine the dovetails into the sides, and either swipe the fore and aft fittings off a sacrificial foregrip, or fabricate and fit those also.
    Errr, not sure if I'm overstepping the boundary here, but I know a thing or two about fabrication. Firstly, you'll have to supply detailed fab drawings for any half decent machine shop to even consider fabricating anything for you. I would estimate approximately 16 hours at up @ R450/hr (that would include software licence cost) assuming you are outsourcing this function. Thats modelling from scratch though.

Not sure about the cost of material these days, but that should be cheap.

Manual cutting for that monstrosity...about another 10 hours minimum at also R400, depending on equipment/operations.

If you really want to be fancy, you can CNC mill it. It will be more expensive per hour, but probably take a third of the time.

The only way to make something like that at a reasonable cost, is to make plenty of them. A one-off is never cheaper...and 99% of the time also very flawed. Production is more of an art than what you'd think. Anyway, not trying to knock anyone's ideas, just my opinion. Buy one and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla
    Quote Originally Posted by paulatadventures

Any halfway decent fabricating shop should be able to run up the rails out of a piece of ally stock... might even be easier to start with a piece of ally thick-walled square tubing, certainly cheaper. Machine the dovetails into the sides, and either swipe the fore and aft fittings off a sacrificial foregrip, or fabricate and fit those also.
    Errr, not sure if I'm overstepping the boundary here, but I know a thing or two about fabrication. Firstly, you'll have to supply detailed fab drawings for any half decent machine shop to even consider fabricating anything for you. I would estimate approximately 16 hours at up @ R450/hr (that would include software licence cost) assuming you are outsourcing this function. Thats modelling from scratch though.

Manual cutting for that monstrosity...about another 10 hours minimum at also R400, depending on equipment/operations.

If you really want to be fancy, you can CNC mill it. It will be more expensive per hour, but probably take a third of the time.

The only way to make something like that at a reasonable cost, is to make plenty of them. A one-off is never cheaper...and 99% of the time also very flawed. Production is more of an art than what you'd think. Anyway, not trying to knock anyone's ideas, just my opinion. Buy one and get it over with.
    Absolutely.

If you are going to go to all the hassle to have something made, have gas tubes with Pic rails and a real tight fit made, something like the Ultimak for AKs. This will probably allow co-witness with a sight like the Aimpoint Micro.

You would also be able to sell quite a few.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Brownells sells cheap plastic sections of picatiny rail that you can bolt to the bottom of your handguard.
    Is this a DIY job? I can't imagine how you would bolt this to the bottom of the handguard. I could just picture me stuffing it up.

Whats a VFG??

User

see i just didn't know what to look for on the site ;D

ssp, the man knows what he is taking about.

still a slight issue of drilling and mounting rails to a state fire arm :-X :-\

if you mount a sight on the gas tube wont the rear iron sights get in the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Brownells sells cheap plastic sections of picatiny rail that you can bolt to the bottom of your handguard.
    Is this a DIY job? I can't imagine how you would bolt this to the bottom of the handguard. I could just picture me stuffing it up.

Whats a VFG??
    Yup. If you can drill 3 holes you can fit it. Its like the rail on my 6.

VFG = Vertical Fore Grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Floyd
    if you mount a sight on the gas tube wont the rear iron sights get in the way?
    It depends on the sight I suppose. I just flip the L rear sight to the middle position and I have no problems.
    Havamal

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla

I very rarely choose the easy way to do something/anything. It goes against my nature ;-{)}

I have access to a large Kondia Powermill. I have a bit of a track record for fabricating stuff that nobody ever thought could be made at a reasonable price before.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

ok, ok , pretend the C lines are in very deep old Afrikaans accent.

C "Ah, floyd, booking out a rifle"

JF "(snap to attention called a straik when in civies) yes captain im booking out an R5"

C "oh? going on duty in civies today are we Floyd!"

JF "no captain Im not going on duty"

C "then what prey tell are you doing with one of my R5's?"

JF "I'm taking it home captain,"

C "no you are not!"

JF "Yes inspector i need to drill 9 holes in it...

cfd89

happy0065 happy0065 happy0065 hpy71 hpy71

User

What about this handguard as an option? Would it allow co-witness of optics on top

http://www.a2zoutdoors.com/galil_and...ccessories.htm

For the likes of Justin, perhaps you could consider the clamp on front site rail that can be removed at the end of shift

What about this handguard as an option? Would it allow co-witness of optics on top

For the likes of Justin, perhaps you could consider the clamp on front site rail that can be removed at the end of shift

As I understand it, those handguards don't permit co-witness.

That frontsight clamp thing is for the Micro Galil, which uses a different front sight entirely. No go.

Seeing as you are a new owner, check out: http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77

Welcome to the time suck.
    Havamal

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

THTA looks lekker! Ta much.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast