Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MISSING ITEMS

Banned

Default MISSING ITEMS

In the bush it is often the small things that nail you. As in spiders and bees. 2 Things conspicuous by their absence in all medical kits was meths and ammonia.
    African wild bees take no prisoners and one can easily walk into a nest/hive especially when hiking in the mountains. You cannot outrun them and you cannot hide, and after the first few stings the smell of the toxin attracts the whole swarm and that can easily be endsville.
    The meths works as a repellent after the first stings and masks their smell. The ammonia can do that as well but its job is a protein destructor and for the stings and bites of almost all insects and arachnids; their toxins being protein based.

User

Default Re: MISSING ITEMS

Usefull info - thanks.

Banned

PS: Ammonia will also lessen the effects of most snake bites if applied quickly, and is the best remedy for bluebottles.

Quote Originally Posted by M1 View Post
    In the bush it is often the small things that nail you. As in spiders and bees. 2 Things conspicuous by their absence in all medical kits was meths and ammonia.
    African wild bees take no prisoners and one can easily walk into a nest/hive especially when hiking in the mountains. You cannot outrun them and you cannot hide, and after the first few stings the smell of the toxin attracts the whole swarm and that can easily be endsville.
    The meths works as a repellent after the first stings and masks their smell. The ammonia can do that as well but its job is a protein destructor and for the stings and bites of almost all insects and arachnids; their toxins being protein based.

Awesome! I did not know that!

User

In terms of spider bites an anti allergen will also be very useful. The only really dangerous spider is the black widow. The brown widow, characterized by the red hourglass on it's underside is not neurotoxic and so poses less of a threat. Sac spider and voilin spider are cytotoxic and while the woulds are bad, you do have a day to get to hospital. My last sac spider bite didn't do much at all. Most bad reactions to spiders are either allergic reactions or when people go into shock when they firmly believe they are about to die from a bite that is less harmful than a mosquito's

Same goes for scorpions for the most part.

Banned

I agree but i have seen bad sack spider bites and a violin spider bite that left an open ulcer almost down to the spine for months. The problem there is that by the time you realise what it might be, it is almost too late. Stick that ammonia on suspect bites and you won't be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by StefanM View Post
    In terms of spider bites an anti allergen will also be very useful. The only really dangerous spider is the black widow. The brown widow, characterized by the red hourglass on it's underside is not neurotoxic and so poses less of a threat. Sac spider and voilin spider are cytotoxic and while the woulds are bad, you do have a day to get to hospital. My last sac spider bite didn't do much at all. Most bad reactions to spiders are either allergic reactions or when people go into shock when they firmly believe they are about to die from a bite that is less harmful than a mosquito's

Same goes for scorpions for the most part.

Uhm.... are you talking about the button spider? Coz the brown widow/button spider is of the same family as the Black Widow and still quite dangerous(though less toxic) and neurotoxic...

Of course, most things treated in time help :-)

User

Quote Originally Posted by h0stag3 View Post
    Uhm.... are you talking about the button spider? Coz the brown widow/button spider is of the same family as the Black Widow and still quite dangerous(though less toxic) and neurotoxic...

Of course, most things treated in time help :-)
    I'm open to correction,but I believe the brown widows venom is around quarter the strength of the black widow. Fairly widespread here.

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    I'm open to correction,but I believe the brown widows venom is around quarter the strength of the black widow. Fairly widespread here.

I did mention less toxic :-). But if not treated can cause problems. Large adults can survive bites easier.

Don't know about the percentage of the potency difference in venoms.

Just saying, a brown widow can cause havoc(though notably less than black widows) in small people. Like midgets and children :-D

User

That's exactly what I was told ,especially regarding children. I'm more wary of the sack spider,often find them by the washing line and the smaller ones in the pegs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast