Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Silencers/ Supressors

Any fanatics of sound reduction devices out there?

User

Default Re: Silencers/ Supressors

Works great on subsonic ammo, but nothing is capable of suppressing a sonic boom behind a supersonic bullet.

User

True you can't do anything about the sonic crack, but what about the technical aspects of design and building them.

I was interested in a one for an LM, but haven't got round to doing much research as yet. Not sure why I'd want one for an LM, suppose its just a nice mod. I was after the reflex type, the ones where the silencer fits back over the barrel so doesn't add as much length and was hoping that there would be one available that fitted the flash hider thread.

Does anybody have any experience with silencers for LM's? I know that some of the hunting guys are using them, a friend who hunts jackal does, so they must make some difference and he definitely doesn't use sub sonic ammo. I've used a few firearms with silencers, but these have been either .22, where it can work really well, and a 9mm. Never used sub sonic 9mm ammo, but it did make a difference. I've never tried, but doesn't a silencer all but eliminate the flash signature at night?

I understand that they can also make a rifle more accurate, how would this work? I always thought that adding anything to a barrel effected the harmonics or something and thats why we spend so much on bedding and free floating barrels on these supper dupper rifles? Yes, I used bedding & free floating in one sentence, thats just weird!

I believe that these are the people to contact, anyone know of other manufacturers or importers?

GMS SUPPRESSORS
    10 Lily Road
    Retreat, Cape Town
    Tel/Fax: 021 702 3536
    gms@xsinet.co.za
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Any gunsmith worth his salt can make one

never would think of silencing a 9mmP, but i believe that some specialized units in the states use the .45ACP round as their caliber of choice partly to do with the fact that the 45ACP is easier to silence then a 9mmP due to the lower sped the round travels, the HK Mark 23 SOCOM comes to mind, with the superb Reed Knight supressor attached confused0068

i want i want, i was enquiring into a Mark 23 with a view to supressing it with a Reed Knight, i remeber when i last phoned the MK23 was at the R12,500.00 mark, now the last time i phoned, i believe that R18,500.00 was what i was quoted, and i just though, NO. NO Andy you are going to say thank you and put down the phone and put this MK23 idea waaay out of your mind and forget about it :(

needless to say i was unhappy with that new price md217

At our club there are quite a few blokes that also hunt and there is a bit of a tendency amongst them to use silencers on their hunting rifles. I am not sure if it is 'home made' or specially purchased. They do work in reducing the sound quite a bit. For example the one has a 7mm Rem Mag with it and shoot 130gr heads at +/-3200 fps. Without it you need ear protection to be comfortable, with it you can stand behind and not use ear protection and be comfortable. The misconception about silencers is that it takes the noise away by 'leaps and bounds' but this is not true. It reduces it even at supersonic speeds, but not take it away.....

I made some for 22LR and 25-20 Win years ago.

Go to: http://www.reflexsuppressors.co.uk/

It's a good design with the expantion chamber over the barrel and not so difficult to make.

User

The Reflex suppressor is pretty dated compared to cutting edge American designs, it is pretty bombproof though. I've got a GMS can for my Glock 17 works well if a few CC's of water is added to the expansion chamber. It's a wipe type which precludes anything but FMJ being fired through it. I got good results with Frontier 138gr CMJ's both cycling and sound reduction.

Criag if you're interested I'll send you some pics of really cool designs maybe build your LM suppressor based on one?

And no not any gunsmith can build a good suppressor, a good suppressor designer who understands the physical principals of sound reduction has to tell the gunsmith how to build it. Suppressor science is a long detailed story.

Look at the work that went into this thing.........unless your gunsmiths got wire EDM, CNC etc pretty hard to do.

Hey Glockster, didn't have to do that to your suppressor just to post a pic, but, hey, thanks!

That does look really complicated, but interesting. A good machinist should be able to do the job I suppose, provided they have a sound design, excuse the pun.

I definitely be interested in the pic's thanks, and also recommended materials to be used if you have these details. This could be an interesting project, watch this space :)
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast