Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default YOUTUBE: GALIL (LM) vs. M16 (AR15)

This is why I love my LM5
    I found this Youtube link:

Default Re: YOUTUBE: COOK OFF TEST IWI GALIL vs. COLT M16

thx for sharing, i have a 4 and love it!

User

Awesome!

User

to be fair, you can clearly hear the AR15/M16 firing muuuuuuch faster, i assume more heat build-up too.

User

Nobody in his right mind is going to destroy his rifle barrel with full auto fire so I cannot really understand the relevance of a "cook off" shoot....

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Nobody in his right mind is going to destroy his rifle barrel with full auto fire so I cannot really understand the relevance of a "cook off" shoot....
    I quite agree that the test appears to be largely pointless.

At the same time one needs to recognise that the whole rationale behind the move by the United States from the old 7.62 x 51 mm round to 5.56 x 45 mm round was justified on the basis that the latter would enable soldiers to apply automatic fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    to be fair, you can clearly hear the AR15/M16 firing muuuuuuch faster, i assume more heat build-up too.
    I am not sure I agree. Look at the relative lengths of the magazines and you will see that the magazines on the Galil are significantly longer, indicating probably more rounds. Also, you will see that, in the initial stages at least, they are changing magazines at about the same time. This would seem to indicate (note: seem) that in fact more rounds are going through the Galil than the other rifle.

The water and sand tests are largely meaningless. Almost all rifles designed for military use are subjected to far more stringent tests before being accepted for military use.

I find it hard to see any real point in the tests, other than showmanship. I am not sure it actually proves anything really about the relative merits of the two firearms.

User

Agreed, both are great weapons and both are battle proven.

User

also, it appears to be one of the first variants of the M16.
    i'm pretty damn sure today's AR15's are far more advanced. just the other day i saw a video clip of an AR15 being fired on full auto for such a long time as quickly as possible between mag changes.... the front heatshield caught fire and the gas-tube melted.

also, that "future weapons" episode with the AR15, where he fired a full mag on auto and licked the bolt the or something?

User

Patrick Sweeney has some eye opening info in his new book "The AR15 Volume 4".

The US Mil Field Manual specs small arms rate of fire (MERF - Maximum Effective Rate of Fire) semi-auto as 45 - 65 rounds per minute = for the M16A12 - MERF is the rate the mil feel one can fire semi auto and do good work.

"Sustained Fire" is the rate you can fire as long as you have ammo amd not cause the rifle to have problems is 12 to 15 rounds per minute..

Most modern rifles can do much better than this but to the detriment of barrel life.

The mil tested barrel life in full auto fire and found mil spec barrel of 4150 alloy would last about 350 rounds of continued full auto fire before it began to droop - that is when a bullet can punch through the side of a barrel.

Patrick Sweeney warns that heat is bad for a barrel and equates about 180 rounds of fire as fast as possible (my words added due to the context of the article) will heat up the barrel so much so that it will equate to about 1000 rounds of barrel service life (under normal semi auto use).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast