Default Question on status of firearm, can anyone advise?

Hi,

I am hoping someone clued up on the firearm licensing laws can advise (ideally a lawyer?). My wife's mom had a licensed firearm when she (my wife's mom) died about 11 years ago. My wife's stepdad (her mom's husband) inherited the firearm, but never got it licensed, and it has just been sitting in his safe for 11 years. What is the legal status of such a firearm - can he still get a new license for it now? Is it illegal, or does it have the equivalent status as an illegal firearm? Also, if legal, can he pass it on to any of his stepkids if they apply for a license for it? (He does have two or three licensed firearms of his own already.) (It is a revolver.)

Search button. Recent threat about this .

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Question on status of firearm, can anyone advise?

Quote Originally Posted by mozart View Post
    Hi,

I am hoping someone clued up on the firearm licensing laws can advise (ideally a lawyer?). My wife's mom had a licensed firearm when she (my wife's mom) died about 11 years ago. My wife's stepdad (her mom's husband) inherited the firearm, but never got it licensed, and it has just been sitting in his safe for 11 years. What is the legal status of such a firearm - can he still get a new license for it now? Is it illegal, or does it have the equivalent status as an illegal firearm? Also, if legal, can he pass it on to any of his stepkids if they apply for a license for it? (He does have two or three licensed firearms of his own already.) (It is a revolver.)
    Similar questions have been raised numerous times on this forum and been answered. The short answer is, it is technically illegal but there are solutions to it and it seems not to be treated by the SAPS in the same manner as ordinary illegal ownership. In other words, it can usually be sorted out in some way or another. Search this Forum to see the answers that have been given to others in similar circumstances.

Hi brukutu and Wanderin' Zero,

With all due respect, please rather don't reply at all if you have nothing to add and all you're going to say is 'use the search'. The reality is I don't have time to wade through hundreds of old threads that don't really actually answer my question because they're actually different situations, and might be filled with advice from people who don't know the law anyway. Actually I've just tried it and already wasted 20 minutes searching through irrelevant non-applicable answers. I've seen a tendency here to see peoples' questions answered with 'use the search' just a little too reflexively and the reality is for many situations and queries that is not a helpful response, and you should be aware it puts a lot of people off. I could understand if I was some 1-post n00b who wandered in to drop an incredibly basic question, but this isn't an incredibly basic question, and most people haven't read most the comments ever posted on the forum.

I am politely asking for help from people who might be able and willing to offer meaningful advice - not asking for useless 'use the search' comments from people who can't - and if nobody has the time to offer help, I understand, then I'll just have to look for answers elsewhere instead of this forum, and maybe pay a lawyer rather (seemingly you don't want this forum to be useful to people).

Hey mozart, with all undue respect. If this situation is not important enough for you to research and all you want is to pick peoples brains for free info then take their very appropriate advise. If not then how about going and paying a lawyer to help you seeing as though the responses above are not to your liking. Geez, that's just a rude response.

Quote Originally Posted by mozart View Post
    Hi brukutu and Wanderin' Zero,

With all due respect, please rather don't reply at all if you have nothing to add and all you're going to say is 'use the search'. The reality is I don't have time to wade through hundreds of old threads that don't really actually answer my question because they're actually different situations, and might be filled with advice from people who don't know the law anyway. Actually I've just tried it and already wasted 20 minutes searching through irrelevant non-applicable answers. I've seen a tendency here to see peoples' questions answered with 'use the search' just a little too reflexively and the reality is for many situations and queries that is not a helpful response, and you should be aware it puts a lot of people off. I could understand if I was some 1-post n00b who wandered in to drop an incredibly basic question, but this isn't an incredibly basic question, and most people haven't read most the comments ever posted on the forum.

I am politely asking for help from people who might be able and willing to offer meaningful advice - not asking for useless 'use the search' comments from people who can't - and if nobody has the time to offer help, I understand, then I'll just have to look for answers elsewhere instead of this forum, and maybe pay a lawyer rather (seemingly you don't want this forum to be useful to people).
    Fair enough. For what it is worth the other old threads that you do not have the time to locate are factually identical to the circumstances you raise. But I can understand that your time is sufficiently valuable that it does not pay you to search for the threads and that it would make more sense for you to go and pay a lawyer. I suggest you try either SSP or skaaphaas on this forum and see if they can help you or otherwise go see Martin Hood. You can find his contact details here:http://www.mjhood.co.za/

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Hey mozart, with all undue respect. If this situation is not important enough for you to research and all you want is to pick peoples brains for free info then take their very appropriate advise. If not then how about going and paying a lawyer to help you seeing as though the responses above are not to your liking. Geez, that's just a rude response.
    It is Steve but he does have a point – sometimes it can be quite difficult to find the applicable threads on a particular subject on this forum. I myself have struggled, even to find a historical thread that I have previously read. But I am also not inclined to rewrite what I have previously written.