Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Importing brass casings?

Potent Pm inbound

User

Quote Originally Posted by potentpoefie View Post
    OK, hate to be the one that says it but yes, you can import brass cases. I've been doing it for years. No minimum order required and no special paperwork etc. etc. You just buy it online from the guys in the states and they ship it to you. You have your option of once fired brass (mucho cheap - wouldn't go that way for rifle brass) or brand new brass. The supplier I use mostly has Starfire as their 'new brass' brand.

They'll be happy to ship up too 20lbs of brass per order but I think for that volume you will need an import permit and/or clearing agent on our side for that bulk.

however my last order was 400 x 308 brass, 500 x 40S&W brass and it went through customs and paid my duties and no biggy or hassles. Just make sure the new brass isn't primed. Primed (not fired live primer) brass is ammo according to our act.

Inbox me for the link.
    As a matter of interest, does the brass land here any cheaper than buying locally or is supply a problem for you locally?

Banned

Well the once fired 308's were $17.25 per 100. That's R1.45 excluding shipping and customs. So with all international orders you have to buy a fair amount to justify the shipping. Like if I only bought 100 then shipping and customs on that would not have made it worth while.

Now I know the cheapest 308 new brass I found was R11 per case but even once fired I doubt I'll get it at that price locally.

So in a word "Yes". It's cheaper.

Now you get into something more exotic and you'll see the local prices go sky high if you can find it.

User

Thanks for the reply P. I know my boss tried to get 505 Gibbs brass locally and ended up getting it from Australia.

User

I did send some really obscure cases and dies to a friend of mine in SA about 5 or 6 years ago and it arrived fine.

Have a look at titanreloading.com! They will ship to SA, however courier costs are high! Also import duties are normally Vat plus 5%, so 19%. I just imported some optics from states, had go get a friend over their place order and ship to himself, then repackage as a gift! Shipping was around R900 and took around 3 weeks!

English is to be used exclusively on this forum, other than in the Afrikaans specific areas.

We have an international audience.
    Last edited by SSP; 17-03-2014 at 14:20.

User

I was under the impression that brass was itar controlled. See this link: http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulati...R_Part_121.pdf category 3 part f.

It is.

DSG

A bit of a necro. But has anyone brought a big amount in and the process of it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2