User

Default Licence Expired - What to do with the Firearm?

Quick one,

A guy I know, his father in law's renewal was refused, and this guy now wants to license the rifle in his name.
    The rifle is currently not licensed. Can he hand this in at a gunshop while his licence is being processed, even though the rifle is currently unlicenced? Would a gunshop under normal circumstances accept an unlicenced firearm for safekeeping while the process runs it course?

Any other alternatives??

User

Default Re: Licence Expired - What to do with the Firearm?

Have his father in law hand the rifle in for safekeeping, yes.

User

Quote Originally Posted by cerop View Post
    Quick one,

A guy I know, his father in law's renewal was refused, and this guy now wants to license the rifle in his name.
    The rifle is currently not licensed. Can he hand this in at a gunshop while his licence is being processed, even though the rifle is currently unlicenced? Would a gunshop under normal circumstances accept an unlicenced firearm for safekeeping while the process runs it course?

Any other alternatives??
    Is it a green or white card issue?

If the renewal is from green to white then the green card it is still valid according to the SA Hunters court case so in my opnion there is nothing to stress about

but if its green then in all likelihood he hasnt done the new proficiency, so would need to do that too.

Hi guys, i'm sorry to hijack this thread. Not sure if I should make a new one?
    I'm also in a similiar situation my mates handgun license has expired and he now lives abroad, visits every few years.
    I would like to license this weapon on my name. Can I have it taken to a gun dealer put into their stock and then license it from there?
    Seeing as It would now be an unlicensed firearm?

User

The gun shop can hold the handgun for you, in the mean time post license documents to your mate and get him to sign them and fill them in and post them back to you. Then apply for the license.

User

As kurly said, it all depends on whether he has a green licence or whether he obtained a white licence which then expired.

Because as far as I know, once you get the white licence the green licence is no longer valid, and if the white licence then expires, you need to get the gun booked into a shop ASAP.

You then get the SAP271 form from the shop and submit that with your motivation etc.

cerop... kurly might be right, but you'd need a lawyer to decide. Once you apply for white licence and it's refused in theory the green licence is still valid but CFR would not agree with that... so again, book it into shop (with the green licence + copy of ID, that doesn't matter) and get the 271 from the shop.