Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Tamboti Toyota Firearms festival: 25 August 2012

The things I do to make sure beer arrives cold.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Had a great time at the festival on Saturday. It was a long and hot day (34 deg C +) and we worked our asses off at the TacShac stand but it was worthwhile to see people enjoying themselves while shooting guns.

It was especially great seeing all the kiddos coming back for seconds, 3rds, etc. Every time when it got slightly quiet and I thought now I can sit down for a minute I would see yet another set of dusty bare feet come around the tent and 9 times out of 10 I would be met with the same request: 'Kan ek asseblief van daai .22 koele kry oom' which would be followed by an outstretched hand containing the content of a piggy bank. Many a piggy bank and a parent's pocket were raided to feed the silenced S&W 15-22 on Saturday. I think we went through more than 1000 rounds of .22LR and the 15-22 just went on shooting and shooting and shooting ............

The NEAs, LMs, FN-FAL and MP5 were also quite popular while the Saiga 12, Mossberg 500, M&P40, Glock 17, Glock 30, Grandpower and Taurus 92 also saw some action. The Dragunof also got a lot of attention but we did not want to anger Willie by setting his farm alight with the tracer rounds so people had to be content with touching it!

It was good working with Paul, BushBoy, Camo762, JS4 and Murphy with Mic and Sands as our 'neighbours'.

Below are a few pictures taken at the TacShac stand courtesy of Salome.

TAMBOTI TOYOTA FIREARMS FESTIVAL 2012: REPORT

Saturday 25 August 2012

The day started at 05h00 with another drag of a set of old tyres over the sandy access road of 5 km. The low level of soil humidity this year and the large number of cars expected represented a special challenge, which we planned to meet by dragging the road at least twice on this day. The road was allready quite churned up by the large number of campers arriving the previous two days.

As the trusty 1993 model Toyota hilux hummed along in 2nd gear low range, 4x4, I ran a checklist of all the things still to be done.

There were about 60 campers in the tent town on the range - mostly BASA members who had built the big bore range the previous day.

At the Muzzle loader range Mic and Santie were in there canvass home-office, with a car full of muzzle loaders, and two jars of Sannadex next to them. Their range was ready.

As I passed the rondavels of "Sekoko lodge" at the farm boundary, I could see the solitary light of oom Ken Stewart, our bulletsmith moving around his camp.
    In the complex with him were : The SAS team of Camo7,62, Sean and JS4 tasked with doing the handgun range on this day.
    Eugene Combrinck of Magnum Arms the agent for Krieghoff was also booked in there - ready for his live exhibit of quality hunting rifles.
    Sharing their camp were visitors from Bethal and Pretoria.

The other ranges:ProAmm grouping range, .22 Active hunting range, Clay target trap and skeet range, Boer and Brit range, .22 junior training range, SAS handgun range were all silently lying ready in the pre-dawn. (After more than a week's hectic preparation.)
    The big tent 9m x 15m was pitched, and the stage was built for the night's performance by John Edmond.

Marcel, Salome, Georgi, Pietie, Petro, Nichola and Kaye - the admin team had booked a large number of relays for the ProAmm shoot the previous day and evening. We were ready to start shooting the moment our range officers arrived and put up the targets.

Weather prediction was only 32*C and a 10 km/h North-easterly wind - perfect for an August day.

To be continued...............................

As dawn broke, the camp started coming to life.
    At the tents kettles were steaming on little fires and gas stoves. Prospective participants were cleaning and checking their rifles, counting their ammo, getting ready.
    A stream of vehicles started to pour in as the range officers started to take up their positions. Coffee was served from Thermos flasks, or bought from the tuck shop allready open.

The first range to open would be the ProAmm grouping. There are 14 concrete tables, with sand bags. Relays are numbered Alpha, Bravo, Charlie .....and the positions 1,2,3 ......14 . Relays A and B was used mostly to give the range officers a chance to shoot before commencing their duties. The first shots were fired at 08h05 - only 5 minutes behind schedule.

At the admin centre the shooters were queing - the quees were much shorter than in 2011, due to the Friday's pre-registration, and an administrative overhaul undertaken by Marcel, Salome and Georgi.
    By 09h00 the other ranges were opening.

BASA (Big Bore association of Southern Africa) had set up a range with a giraffe, lions, buffaloes, a rhino and a jackal. The first prize here was a hunting package of two kudus for two hunters on Lemetfort farm. There was no number of entries, to try and win this prize - well there was :the depth of your pocket and the size of your ammo-box! But they kept on coming back. Only 9,3 mm and larger calibre were allowed.

At the active hunting range next door, the hunters were doing their thing. Our German "Weidfrau" had set up a blue wildebeest range and a buffalo range for .22 rifles. Enthusiasm was running high.

to be continued....................

User

Wink Re: Tamboti Toyota Firearms festival: 25 August 2012

Rudes; (i need to get those pics to you)

THANKS to the SAS & Tac Shack team for your presence and hard work at the firearms festival it was great having you there and apart from the kids enjoying it so much, we enjoyed it just as much. It was definitely a successful day!

oh and Marcel (not Mic ;) if you are reading, did i mention how much i loved the Glock 30 ... it's just one of those things ...

Hey Salome!
    Glad you found your way to Gunsite.

Marcel if you are reading this: Dont for forget to Salome's 15/22 for Christmas!
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    oh and Marcel (not Mic ;) if you are reading, did i mention how much i loved the Glock 30 ... it's just one of those things ...
    Ja, ja, sorrie hoor?

I got Mic and Marcel mixed up. I blame Alzheimers.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage762 View Post
    Hey Salome!
    Glad you found your way to Gunsite.

Marcel if you are reading this: Dont for forget to Salome's 15/22 for Christmas!
    hey camouflage 7 6 2 thanks! 15/22... i like the look of that smith & wesson, Marcel i hope you're reading :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Ja, ja, sorrie hoor?

I got Mic and Marcel mixed up. I blame Alzheimers.
    Ag shame.. haha. no worries

Guys, I have to pass on this rather serious message that was delivered to TTFF:

TELEGRAAFDIENST DER ZUID AFRIKAANSCHE REPUBLIEK:
    BERICHT UIT DE NOORDE; DISTRIK NIJLSTROOM

Het werd ons onder aandag gebrengen dat een joiner by name Johan Schoeman in de companie bekend als Bullers Barstids opgemerkd worden.Volgens berichten is hij onder de wapen en neem aan de kant der vijand aan gevechten deel.

Hiermee wenst de regering der ZAR te velde kennis te geven dat genoemde verrader voor de vuurpeloton gebrengt zullen worden, zijn rechtmatige straf te ontvangen.

Krijgsraad der ZAR
    Last edited by Willie Barnard; 29-08-2012 at 18:14. Reason: tidying up

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast