Default 23 Aug 2012 (Hermanus SA) Teen kills intruder and saves dad's life

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...-life-20120823

Main discussion here: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...nt-neutralised

Cape Town - A guesthouse owner's son is the hero of the day after killing an intruder who was shooting at his father, it was reported on Thursday.

"I knew it was either him or us who would die," said Liam Kleyn, 16, from a hospital in Hermanus.

Canzius Kleyn, 47, his wife, Betsie and their son Liam, were watching TV at their guest farm outside Caledon on Tuesday evening when a man walked in and aimed a 9mm pistol at them, Die Burger reported.

Fight to the death

Betsie Kleyn had her pistol with her because she felt uneasy after a call earlier in the day when someone enquired about accommodation in the guesthouse, but refused to give her his contact details.

"He kept on asking whether we would be home in the evening," she said.

When he saw her pistol, the intruder started shooting at her. Canzius then jumped up and tried pinning down the man.

The intruder kept on fighting while Betsie fired at him. The intruder shot Canzius in the wrist and bit his ear off.

During this time, Liam went to fetch another pistol from the safe and killed the intruder.

"It’s scary to think of it now, but it was a fight to death."

"He’s our hero," Canzius said of Liam. "He stayed calm...and saved all of our lives."

The death of the unknown man is being investigated, police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel André Traut said

User

Default Re: 23 Aug 2012 (Hermanus SA) Teen kills intruder and saves dad's life

Lives spared by being prepared....

User

Clearly shows guns in the safe is pretty useless.

User

I know these people. They live in a relatively safe area, or so we think. The attacker shot his firearm at Betsie pointblank and missed. Apparently he watched tooo many movies and held the firearm on its side. He also pushed the pistol into Canz 's stomach and it didn't fire. This is when Liam shot him pointblank and dropped him.

I don't shoot handguns know very little about them, will pushing the pistol against him have moved the slide back and prohibited the hammer from igniting the primer??????

User

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhugger View Post
    I don't shoot handguns know very little about them, will pushing the pistol against him have moved the slide back and prohibited the hammer from igniting the primer??????
    Yes it can... why you should always attempt to have some space between your muzzle and target.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhugger View Post
    Happened to my father with a knife wielding attacker lying on top of him. Pistol refused to fire. The next week he bought a 6 inch .44 Magnum revolver.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.