Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Q20 and guns

Default Re: Q20 and guns

My carry gun is kept in pristene condition. Detail stripped after last shoot, all tip top. Death will be induced...by it.

Good point about hydraulic effect of oil.

I do not think that the Q20 and similar products will harm the gun. I think the problem is in using such a product on the slide as a lubricant and that from this point it might not be suitable as you need different properties/abilities from the oil for this application. But yes, keep the oil away from the firing pin...

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla
    Also note that I usually "spray" my firing pin clean close to a shoot. After the first couple of rounds, that bad boy is drained of all excess oil. Also, a can of compressed air is handy to blow out any aditional oil.

I'm not worried about excess oil so much, I was more concerned about the effects of penetrating oil on firearm finish, plastic parts, etc.

H and K's Hostile Envroment and Glock's Tenifer metal treatments (theyre not really finishes) are pretty much the toughest available. You ain't gonna hurt em with no Q20.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

A penetrating oil in the firing pin channel could seep onto the primer of the round in the chamber no a carry gun and affect its operation. This would be bad. Not terribly likely but unnecessary all the same.

BigT,

Now we getting to the problem. I knew it was something but could not remember. A oil is not just a oil, they have different 'designs' and functions. I would not want a penetrating oil around my primers........

User

I think he knows what he is talking about.

See par 6 http://www.vickerstactical.com/Tips/...ubrication.htm

hi all,

When servicing my carry gun (Glock 27) i compleately strip the gun, this incluedes field stripping and then taking the whole gun aprt, slide and frame and useing copious amounts of either Q20 or that Ram gun oil and a tooth brush with a jag and brush for the barrel.

once done scrubbing to get all lint and "fur" and whatever else off, i use a cloth to wipe the excess oil off the patrs and reasemble, then wipe wipe wipe that there is only a fine trace of oil that has almost "penetrated" the nooks and crannies, once the weapon is fully assembled i then run a clean cloth through the barrel and ship the mag.

the other guns that are going into storage are done much the same with the exception that i dont wipe them bofore of after, and just vefore they go back inot the carry case i give them a blast with the oil for good measure, i leave them swimming in the oil untill i want to either carry or shoot them, then i give them a good wipe down, all of my guns have synthetic grips etc etc, and i make sure no damage will be done if they are sensitive to oil etc...

I store around 40 guns and have never had a problem before, i have heard the saying dont kill your guns with oil, but id rather kill them with oil then with that fine red dust that comes before the rust and pitting does... hjk

Sorry if i went a little off topic there, any how Q20 is ok, not the best but itl do the job

I used Q20 but found that it would attract dust etc... because it stayed in a wet state, this then created something similar to valve grinding paste confused0068 not good!

I used Ram gun cleaning spray but then I found Castrol DWF has basically the same things in it and is half the price.... I do miss the bubble gum smell though.

DWF is nice cause it dries out leaving a lubricating film + it cleans your barrel very nicely. I also clean out my Vektors firing pin channel with it because it's easier than stripping the b@rstard thing BUT only cause it dries out!

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    A penetrating oil in the firing pin channel could seep onto the primer of the round in the chamber no a carry gun and affect its operation. This would be bad. Not terribly likely but unnecessary all the same.
    You should be more worried about the powder being affected. As far as I know, the primer is an impact explosive and not really that susceptible to oil and moisture. I've deliberately put some oil in a primer, left it for a while and bliksemed it with a hammer. Worked just fine. I might be wrong, but thats my perception at present.

But as you rightfully say, I wouldn't recommend for carry ammo. Not worth the risk.

I am going to test this theory about the primers as it remains a 'coating' that can get spoiled according to my knowledge.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast