User

Default Fishing in Mozambique

Hi

I'm off to Mozambique the last week of September, Xai Xai to be exact. I was wondering what the fishing would be like this time of year and what species you can expect to catch. We'll be fishing from the beach/rocks. What bait to use? Any advise will be appreciated.

User

Default Re: Fishing in Mozambique

Hey Hein22. We went this time two years back but we never fished in Xai Xai, if you go north to around 40km to Chidinguelle (excuse spelling) (pronouced Shid-ing-gull) there is a place called "kings Beach".the local should know. basicly the reef archs away from the beach and joins the beach about a kilometer down. in the middle of that there is a break in the reef. we caught wave garrick all day and managed to take out a 45kg king fish. also have a look at going deep sea fishing it is off season now so the rate are fantastic.

User

I worked in moz last year. In a river near our place close to Maputo, they pulled out a Russian T series tank. Complete right down to the shells.

You never know what you'll find.

User

Reef Resorts at xai xai has 2 very good skippers, we caught some nice fish with them, dorado, tuna, barracuda etc...rather spend your money on charters than tackle here, you never get the full benifit of it and maybe use it twice a year, you dont have to worry about bait etc etc

User

There's a lodge just outside Xai-Xai called Paradise Magoo (next to Paradise view), plus minus 60km further up from Xai-Xai town. Oom Wynand runs the lodge and does charters etc. Plenty Barracuda. Barracuda curry. Barracuda steaks. barracuda on toast. plain cuda. The local oomies have all the reefs GPS mapped so you're guaranteed to catch if you go find a decent charter. Its saves as per previous posts equipment etc. And you dont look like a freestater doing pap gooi either. no offence to the oranje okes. luv you guys! But I used to work their aswell and it can be a pain hunting up and down the beach for Kingies. Sometimes you just dont catch and can spoil a holi if you just up once in a while. Enjoy anyways. Drink beer. its safer than water.

User

Just beware of the Tipo Tinto (Local cheap rum). That stuff is dangerous!

User

Thanks for all the advice guys, i recon i'll give the charters a go during the first day or two and try to learn as much as possible from them. Fortunately i have most of the gear (will just have to dust it off) so no big capital outlay there.. And if for some reason the fish don't bite, at least we'll have Tipo Tinto.

User

Hein I went to paradise view just out of xai xai n fished a bit off the rocks in front caught a few but nothing really exciting... then went on a charter n thats where the fun began

User

Enjoy boet!
    Super Jealous

User

Tx, can't wait. Things are slowly falling into place. 2 weeks and counting..