Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Snakes - to shoot or not to shoot

Generally I am for leaving them be in peace.

However,

We often go to a friend's farm (December boys weekend piss up memories that will last me a life time, although they are very blurred).

It started as boys weekends, then we got girlfriends and they came along and now they are wives. The guy whose farm it is became the father of twins at the end of June, my wife is offloading our first one in September and the next friend is due in February.

So keeping in mind that soon there will be hoardes of crawling babies on the farm when we all go to visit...

In the veld we leave the snakes alone. Find one inside the camp (talking puff adders here) and it is unfortunately the end of that snake.

In 12 years visiting this farm, I know of only one snake that has been found in the camp on the farm.

User

@Andrew Leigh
    Maybe a better option in burners case?

Wooden miniature baseball bat, 25 cm length, to attack the 'bed snake'. The willy whacker has been especially designed so that you can locate it in pitch dark conditions. This whacking bat should only be used when the member in question is of a dangerous and threatening size. Note that one vicious lob "should do the trick", but in some cases extra shots may be needed at different angles. We strongly advise the user to :-
    1) Have an alternative living address
    2) Have a good contact in the legal profession
    3) Use ear plugs during the strike

How the 'Bed Snake' Bat was developed

At last, years of relentless research by our team of dedicated scientists has borne fruit. We have discovered that pregnancy is caused by a small venomous snake, (Snakus Williuserectus) or Bed Snake.

The Bed Snake is found throughout the world and it's favoured habitat is the bedroom. For much of the time it remains dormant, but don't let this wrinkled reptile deceive you. On being approached it will be roused into action, and its fearsome venom has few known antidotes.

Now, utilizing cutting edge technology, we have created the remarkable contraceptive device, the Bed Snake Bat.

Please follow the instructions carefully, and never again need you fear attack from a Bed Snake.

Instructions for Use:

Be armed at all times. On sighting Bed Snake, give it a forearm smash with the Bed Snake Bat, followed by two or three more for luck. If in any doubt at all, perhaps one more again?

WARNING:
    THE MANUFACTURERS OF THE BED SNAKE BAT TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR INJURIES INCURRED BY USERS OF THE BAT, TO OWNERS OF THE SNAKES, NOR TO THE SNAKES THEMSELVES.

A record of Use will be included with the Bed Snake Bat.

A quote from Dr. Randy Clutz " I guarantee, after purchasing the Bed Snake Bat, no more pregnancies and a full night's sleep."

User

There are no poisonous snakes...
    Only venomous ones :o)

leave them be. I'm in the bush all day, every day and don't feel any need to harm snakes, or anything for that matter. And I do have much bigger, furrier and toothier things to worry about.

User

@ blunderbuss

Excellant

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Probably miss Burner ........ target too small .
    I like +10

User

+1

Okay so I am shit scared of snakes and don't want to touch one even it it is not venomous. HOWEVER they do serve a purpose and I am against killing something for no reason.Honestly,I can't see the reason for killing a venomous snake that comes too close to the house.Sure they are dangerous and can harm someone,especially a dog or child. But what is the use of killing it? Are the other ones going to know not to come to the house because they will be killed? Okay by killing that snake it means that specific snake can't come back again, but all the other ones are still just as likely to come?As much as I would like snakes to stay the hell away, I think the best is to just relocate it. Even when venomous and close to the house. Fair enough it might be hard to move certain snakes if you don't know how.Perhaps guys kill the venomous snake that comes to the house to prevent that specific snake of forming the habit of coming to the house? That would make sense I guess.

I am no herpetologist but I lived with a 1.2 Rinkhals in my garden for a long time. He didn't bother us or our dogs and we didn't bother him. Puffys don't worry me - just keep your eyes open and stay out their way/don't step on them. A friend lived with an Egytian Cobra behind their kitchen cupboard for a long time. Again, no problems. The only venemous snakes I have encountered that truly frighten me are the black mambas. When it comes to them, it's a different game altogether. For them the only real answer is the 12 gauge I'm afraid. For the rest I can mostly get by. As for non-venemous snakes, they're interesting and often very beneficial too.

Black Mamba's are the only snake I have encountered that show aggression when cornered, they are scary.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast