Default Permanent Resident status and Firearm ownership in SA.

I am a British passport holder with a Permanent Residence Permit in SA. I do not possess a South African ID No. / ID Book.

I have recently submitted an application for a Competency Certificate together with an application to possess an SD handgun and a hunting rifle. I have completed the necessary firearms training courses and legal test.

I thought all the boxes were checked off, but when the local Firearms Officer tried to input info from my forms on to the Police firearms database he encountered a stumbling block: the computerised information system will not accept an applicant's data without the applicant having a South African ID Number.

According to the FO I must obtain an SA ID No. before my firearms licence applications can be processed. I wrote to the DHA Enquiries section with an enquiry and I was told that it can take up to nine months (max.) for a Permanent Resident's ID application to be processed.

So I have encountered yet another hurdle to be surmounted before I can possess a licensed firearm. Do I have any legal redress here? As the law stands is a Permanent Resident legally required to obtain an SA ID # in order to apply for a firearm licence? Or must I simply accept the situation I have outlined and apply for an ID # / ID book?

User

Default Re: Permanent Resident status and Firearm ownership in SA.

I'm German and got my permanent residence in 2004 but only got my ID in 2008. After never receiving the ID, i went to apply again and the application took around 6 weeks. Not 9 months.

It will probably be quicker to just apply for the ID than to try explain and fight with the DFO/CFR

My old man is Italian and has recently recieved his ID book also took 6 weeks to get, he applied for a sec 13 and sec 15 weapon and both approved so its possible

User

you can apply on Sec 21 using your passport for SD

Thanks for the replies guys, my ID application was submitted today after a delay of 3 weeks while my PR permit was sent off to Pretoria for "authentication". I am encouraged to hear that the ID book could take about 6 weeks, great; I was just going on what I was told by a DHA official on their call centre. @ Long Range, I will look into what you have said about applying for an SD licence under Section 21. If you can supply more info that would be good. Thanks in advance.