Thread: Verbal Judo

Default Verbal Judo

Who would you guys suggest as 'n good source on realistic verbal judo tactics to try and avoid / de-escalate a possible bad situation?

I have been considering Bill Kipp's DVD's from Paladin.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

Default Re: Verbal Judo

Are you referring to Bill Kipp's "the missing link"? I have it and its not bad at all, mostly shows the differences between passive, aggressive and assertive responses played out in various scenarios.

I also have Dr George Thompson's book "Verbal Judo" which I found years ago in Exculsive books's psychology section by chance. Excellent stuff, have applied it in real life. AFAIK He is the originator of the term and his teachings are required by many US law enforcement agencies. I managed to find a lecture he gave on youtube as well.

I actually made reference to the book in my SD FA app, and included a pic of the book, to show that my FA would be an absolute last resort

User

its 90 minutes so use a youtube grabber or downloader to save it...

Nice, thanks prepare2win. Somehow I knew I would get good advice from you ;-)

Yes, I am referring to the Missing Link from Bill Kipp.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

As I said the missing Link is not bad, but I feel the Verbal Judo book is better value.

Deescalation is always stressed in SD situations but then usually just glossed over. hence the title Missing Link. the video is mainly kinda cheesy 80's acted out scenarios.

Thanks prepare2win!

We discussed this after class the other night. I myself don't have much experience on this, but we mostly agreed that one has to try and de-escalate the situation or just avoid it / leave.

Some people felt negative about always having to de-escalate and avoid when they have done nothing wrong and just want to have a good time, and one can understand in a way how they feel.

Personally, I would try and avoid / walk away whenever possible, because frankly I have got bigger fish to fry when the situation requires it than getting involved in a petty argument / confrontation about whose mags are shinier etc. that might just get you declared unfit to posess.

Which made me think - how does the different verbal judo techniques apply to a multi-cultural society like ours? Might there be a difference?

User

the multicultural aspect is discussed in the book where as a police officer working in cities with many many different immigrant cultures, they had to be aware of so many different cultural taboos and such