Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to begin?

Default Where to begin?

Hey all!

So, I'm looking at getting my first firearm. The reasons are many I guess, but it boils down to the old adage: I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it. My questions are thus: what is the process involved in firearm procurement? I obviously know it has to be licensed, but how do I even begin the process? Do I get the license first, then the gun, or do I get the gun, then the license? Is the license linked to a specific firearm? Should I get a new or used firearm? What are the pros and cons of both? Oh, and Glock.

Fire away!

User

Default Re: Where to begin?

Good place to start would be to read the FCA (Firearms Control Act).

Gun first, then license.

Besides for getting your competency - that is first. You can (and should) do your competency now already while you are still pondering which ten guns to buy for a start.

Do all four categories of competency now. You can thank me later.

New vs. second hand... IMO if you are a new owner go for new. That will give you the peace of mind that if something is not lekker it is either you (most likely) or that the warranty will sort it out.

Enjoy the journey!

User

+1 to everything JS4 said.
    If you are going to buy a Glock, (very good idea if you can afford it) get a compact or sub-compact. In 9mm that would be a 26 or 19. 19 Would be my choice. Quite enough gun but still concealable.
    Stay away from a huge battle pistol or big .357 revolver. Looks very nice and powerful but they are less easy to conceal and carry with you. And as a consequence more often than not get left in the safe.
    My opinion is that if you are going through the trouble to buy a handgun, practice well and carry it with you all the time. And in doing so make a huge difference to your and your family's safety. A self defense handgun lying in a safe is a 90% waste of time.

User

Glock is good but it's not the be all and end all. There are many other great handguns manufacturers out there like Walther, Heckler & Koch, Smith & Wesson etc. How much are you willing to spend? Keep in mind that a decent holster will also cost you around R700 and extra mags are about R300 a piece. Decent SD ammo is also not cheap and you'll have to test fire a few boxes to see if it functions in you gun, so keep that in mind too. What I really like about about Glock now is their prices, they are priced to go. Do you want the gun for concealed carry (as a self defense weapon) only or are you thinking of joining a shooting organization like SADPA? That will also influence you decision. Can you carry to work? Do you travel often?

User

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    Gun first, then license.
    Just remember, although you buy the gun first (you need the serial numbers for the license application) you can't take the gun home until the license is approved. So the gun stays at the dealer.You can apply for a section 21 permit, but there seems to be issues with it currently.

Quote Originally Posted by rboshoff View Post
    Just remember, although you buy the gun first (you need the serial numbers for the license application) you can't take the gun home until the license is approved. So the gun stays at the dealer.You can apply for a section 21 permit, but there seems to be issues with it currently.
    That had crossed my mind, actually. Regarding that, once I've purchased the gun, and it's sitting at the dealer, am I able to access it to practice my shooting if there's a range on site?

Also, regarding SD ammunition, I've been doing a bit of research, and I've narrowed my choices down to two: 9mm and .40 - in Glock (as Daan has already pointed out) that'd be a 19 and a 23, respectively. Yes, I've decided to go for compact over sub-compact (and no intention of going Dirty Harry just yet!) - something smaller than a standard size, but just as effective (also, more ammo than a sub-compact). At this moment, I guess the deciding factor will be the price of ammunition (for practice and SD purposes), and also how it feels to shoot either 9mm or .40 cal (recoil, etc).

As far as the purpose of the weapon, it's SD - for now. Whether or not I'll join a shooting organisation is a decision I'll make as time goes buy.

P.S: thanks for all the input! You guys rawk!

User

9mm= cheaper ammo + less recoil + more rounds in the mag.

User

Find out if the dealer has a shooting range and if he'll let you practice on it before you have your license. You also need to do a proficiency course to get competency

User

Oh and congrats on shedding your sheep skin and becoming a wolf:D

User

Quote Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
    Oh and congrats on shedding your sheep skin and becoming a wolf:D
    Sheepdog dude! Wolves are the BGs ;-)
    Beware the killer ræbbit of Caerbannog! Look, that ræbbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide. It's a killer!!! He's got huge, sharp... eh, he can leap about... LOOK AT THE BONES!!!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw&sns=em[/URL]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast