Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Default Re: Sports adventure shooting 13 October 2012

Comms up & running!

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............

....A quick debrief and everyone got there level 1 gear on and moved off to the 400m mark.

The drill would consist of shooting at steel plates from 300m meters.

However the RO’ who followed behind would then tell the shooters what to do, ie run, crawl kneel etc. Some of the Ro’s threw smoke canisters to add to the atmosphere ;-)

Some hits were noted for all rifles from 300m. (Yes even 5.56 )

The most successful being CRB with his scoped 30 odd 6.
    Bushboy too made the Lm6 ring the plate, however a spotter was needed to walk most of the shooters onto their targets.
    By the 150 mark the plates were being hit with monotonous regularity.

Those with iron sights flipped/dialled them in for the range.
    However I noticed on one rifle it had not been changed from 300m, yet we were at the 50m mark!

As usual crawling sucks!

Sean operating a MP15/22 had so much time on his hands, as he usually runs his bolt gun and was shocked to find that he had expended 75 rounds!
    This exercise was exhausting and soaked up a lot of ammo. Knee pads definitely helped.

Personally I found even if it was light smoke drifting across my front, it disrupted my ability to aim as the front sight & the target washed out.

Couple this with glasses that are dirty and or fogging up and it really interferes with your ability to sight at your target.
    From a safety point of view it is not good I observed a couple of blokes (Myself included) lifting their glasses to get a better view. Some even removed them during the exercise.
    This is not ideal and we need to ensure that everyone keeps E&E protection on at all times.

I got hit in the face when unloading a semi, if I had not being wearing glasses it could have been disastrous.

A pair of polarizing safety glasses that strap on and DO NOT fog up must exist for at reasonable price in the shooting universe.

That said how much is your eyesight worth to you?

Once everyone had caught their collective breath and a long drink of water it was time for some CQC rifle.

Starting from 100 in pairs shooters had to respond to commands and transition between various shooting positions.
    From standing they would go supine to prone then kneeling, get up and move a couple of paces etc.

Movement could be forward, back left or right. This was repeated up until about 30m from the plates. Once completed the team leader would check the team for ammo, injured & lost equipment. (ACE)

This completed training for the day and then it was play time followed by a braai.

It was a good days practice, especially since the last couple of months have been taken up with the competition and the Ellisras Firearms Festival.

Thanks to Bushboy & Sean for helping run the show.

Tip of the hat to Big Hunter & Mr & Mrs Hostag3.
    Well done guys, thanks for taking the chance.

Post script:
    I had bought a Condor 7 pouch chest rig, it was very comfortable.

For the last few years I have been using the old SADF chest rig, but found it need two extra pouches to accommodate my level 1 gear.
    The SADF rig is a good piece of kit and could easily accommodate 303 stripper clips, Garand en bloc clips, LM4/5/6 mags as well as FAL & G3 mags. So it has a nice multipurpose application.

For the shorter mags for the FAL & G3 I inserted to wooden spacers to lift the mags to make extraction a bit easier.

The SADF rig did not have an empty pouch that I could use as a dump pouch, the Condor does, and also has a pouch for a radio on the left side it does. Nice piece of kit for my, post 40 mature, build at a reasonable price.

How well it stands up to being dragged over the ground or using the straps as grab handles? Will let you know in a couple of months.

Also.......

Noticed a big long welt on my shin on Monday, during one of the drills we had to fall on our backside & engage the targets.
    I needed to do a mag change & momentarily lowered my very hot FAL barrel onto aforementioned shin.

Man that barrel was hot!

Our final session for 2012 is our year end family shoot on 10 November. Any one who has attended any of the Sas sessions this year is welcome to join us for lot of shooting fun.

Will post costs/times etc on Monday.

Enjoy the weekend.

Cheers
    Camo
    Last edited by camouflage762; 19-10-2012 at 11:56.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Default Re: Sports adventure shooting 13 October 2012

First time I got a chance to read the last post. Thanks Camo for doing the report. Really looking forward to the family day.
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...-November-2012
    For those who dont know what its about see the link above and come join us.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6