Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: SAP350 Bottleneck...

When I handed in my app, the DFO checked my serial number on the system and it had not yet been transferred from import to dealer stock (apparently shows as belonging to state department or something), he accepted my app and it was processed without any hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleock View Post
    When I handed in my app, the DFO checked my serial number on the system and it had not yet been transferred from import to dealer stock (apparently shows as belonging to state department or something), he accepted my app and it was processed without any hassles.
    Exact same thing happened to me. Gave the DFO the dealer's tel number and application was processed and approved

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

OK, so here's how the system was designed to work:

The whole system was designed to run on an online database where the importers and dealers captured the details of firearm transfers directly. SAPS has nevered bothered to set up this system, in conflict with the law and despite their numerous claims to be able to administer the system as designed.

This is how the system works instead:

Importer A wants to import firearms to wholesale on to Dealer B. Importer A applies for and eventually receives an Import Permit (permanent) from CFR. Before the Import Permit is issued the CFR asks all sorts of stupid questions of Importer A, and eventually captures the firearms onto the Enhanced Firearms Register under an Import Permit code number. The firearms arrive in the country. They are inspected by Customs (at random) and wait for Police clearance at Guardforce until the SAPS members deign to arrive to conduct the inspection. The police inspect and approve. Importer A takes his firearms back to his facility and submits a SAP350a (Stock Received Return) to CFR to inform them that they should now update the Enhanced Firearms Register.

At this point the IP code should be replaced on the Enhanced Firearms Register with the dealer code of Importer A.

Importer A now sells the firearms to Dealer B. Importer A now submits an SAP350b (Stock Supplied Return) to CFR, including the details of Dealer B. Simultaneously, and as a double control, Dealer B submits an SAP350a form to CFR to tell them they now have the firearms in their possession and that CFR should change the code on the Enhanced Firearm Register to reflect their dealer code.

Dealer B now sells a firearm to Customer C. Dealer B includes the last segment of the 350 trail at the bottom of page 3 of the SAP271 (Application for Firearm License), and sometimes also a seperate copy of their SAPS350a because not all DFOs have bothered to read or understand the forms or any memos at all for the last decade.

This is how the system doesn't work:

(Now we get to where B3 started his story.)

At present the CFR has one person attending to ALL the SAP350 movements, so what happens is that this person (in honour of the King of Rock and Roll we shall call her Lisa Marie) fails to capture the SAP350a forms or the SAP350b forms at all, or in large part.

Customer C arrives at DFO D with his correctly completed SAP271 including the SAP2350a details (and sometimes even accompanied by a copy of the SAPS350a). DFO D looks up the firearm on the Enhanced Firearm Register to check that it is on the register of Dealer B. Lisa Marie has not done her job so the firearm is either on Importer A's dealer code, or, even worse, still on the Import Permit. DFO D then tries to force Dealer B, via the levelling of threats against Customer C to produce a copy of the SAP350a from Importer A to Dealer B (which Dealer B doesn't have access to) and the Import Permit (which Dealer B doesn't have access to). DFO D tells Customer C that his license app will be 'cancelled' if he doesn't get Dealer B to produce this documentation.

Everyone gets stressed and unhappy with everyone else.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

thats quite a process...

User

You nailed it Paul.

I can add the FCA only requires the dealer to submit a 350(a) and (b) to CFR.

No one else should require or is in a position to legally demand a copy of the 350 returns.

User

I have exactly the same problem. Would have sorted it out earlier but the importer is refusing to give me a copy of the import permit. All I can do now is wait and hope the system gets updated. The DFO is being a bit difficult as well.

Ps. I bought the firearm in the first week of March.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    (in honour of the King of Rock and Roll we shall call her Lisa Marie) fails to capture the SAP350a forms or the SAP350b forms at all, or in large part.
    Paul, you forgot to mention the bit where "Lisa Marie" doesn't turn to PAGE 2 of the SAPS 350 form, so all those firearms on the second page were never captured.

I had first hand experience of this whole process and paul was very helpful.

I am fast loosing my patience with the CFR.

I think Paul was holding back ;-)

User

This explains it!

It seems there was a saps 350 mess-up with my rifle from the dealer that i bought it from(someone didnt submit a proper 350a form in admin) due to my rifle being transfered to a different branch elsewhere in the country...and now my application has been In Consideration for 6 weeks already.

My DFO said based on the status code the CFR is looking for the current owner of my rifle I am applying for.......

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by 308FN View Post
    I have exactly the same problem. Would have sorted it out earlier but the importer is refusing to give me a copy of the import permit. All I can do now is wait and hope the system gets updated. The DFO is being a bit difficult as well.

Ps. I bought the firearm in the first week of March.
    The importer MAY NOT provide you with the Import Permit! The DFO is being a little more than a little difficult.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast