Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Synthetic Stock vs. Wood Stock ?

Im about to start a build on a .243 and having mixed feelings about what stock to fit?

User

Default Re: Synthetic Stock vs. Wood Stock ?

Laminated wood happy0065

User

Synthetic does not warp and is light, looks cooler..

Look at the Armtec Stocks.. They are in Potch and they are cool looking too..

depends on what you want the rifle to do, personally i think wood is far prettier than synthetic but synthetic is more practicle ,it isn't affected by weather changes and so is more accurate and also is a bit more durable. My 30-06 is synthetic whereas my 458 is wooden stocked ,I feel far happier bashing through the bush with the 30-06 than the 458 purely because i loathe the idea of scratching the walnut but saying that i wouldn't change it. i am also looking at building a 243 it'll be a model 70 with a bull barrel and a synthetic stock it'll have a big leupold scope ,probably a 6.5-20x50 and it will be used solely for culling and varminting and so looks are of little importance but accuracy is vital. hope it helps

User

I have found the black synthetic to be very durable

Thats exactly why im a bit torn between the two, im also doing the built for long range shots and accuracy. i have a 30-06 with a walnut stock and it does look very good, but as you say looks doesnt count when it comes to accuracy. I have already spoken to Chris at Armtec, if im going synthetic he'll be doing the build for me, also with a Pac-nor bull barrel, still deciding witch action? Im thinking of Mauser at the moment because of their relyability. Think i should do the synthetic as i already have a wood 30-06.

User

jomac , CG

I am also interested in acquiring or building up a 243, but for my son who is 10 now...

It has to be light enough for him to carry around and he is small in frame.

In my case it would mean a Synthetic stock with a normal barrel....

Why do you prefer the 243 for culling and varminting?

If your a head shotter, I would have gone for 25-06? grn1

Gidsie, two reasons firstly and probably most importantly is that a 243 is built on a standard length action which is generally a lot easier to find than a magnum length action which you would neeld for a 25-06 as it is obviously based on the 30-06. Secondly components for loading a 243 are much easier and also cheaper to come by, a big factor when shooting a lot, saying all of this ideally i would still have a 25-06.

User

The 243 should be built on a short action, if you use a a long action there is always the chance of shortstroking, the 25-06 uses a long action.

I recently decided not to purchase another wooden stocked rifle after hunting in overcast conditions. My wooden stocked Sako 30-06 was zeroed the previous day and the rifle was spot on. Come hunting morning I went to the range and found that it printed about 10cm to the right and about 5cm high. The rifle wasnt dropped or manhandled, the wood simply warped and created a pressure point where there had not been one. If accuracy and durability is what your looking for synthetic is the way to go.

Laminate might look better than some composite type stocks, but the better composite stocks ( HS precision, Choate, Mcmillan etc. etc ) gives the shooter multiple adjustments to get everything just right. Bedding also plays a very important role in accuracy as does the manner in which the barrel is "broken in". Reloading is obviously the only way to get the very best performance from your rifle. The best rifle in the world will not be accurate if its fed the wrong ammo.

The whole 25-06 vs 243 debate will be carried on for years. The 25 does everthing the 243 does with a bit more oomph, it can because the case is quite a bit larger. I think the 243 is one of the most popular culling rifles used in SA. The .243 and it 6mm clones has quite a following in the USA benchrest scene. If the Yanks uses it, it cant be bad.

For your purposes I think synthetic. Isnt 25-06 a bit harsh on the barrel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast