User

Default Solids for Cape Buffalo?

Accordingto the new South African rules for types of ammunition, solids/FMJ/none-expandingbullets are required for pachyderms. Though the Cape Buffalo only requires a 250grain bullet, then I presume it is classified as a pachyderm like elephantand and rhino, which requires a 300grain bullet. Previously the Cape Buffalo could be hunted with an expanding bullet, but that no longer seems to be legal??

User

Default Re: Solids for Cape Buffalo?

I am not sure I understand your question. Elephants and Rhino are pachyderms but not Buffalo's.

Sean.
    Last edited by Sean Murphy; 12-10-2012 at 10:06.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

Buffalo classified under the same banner due to legal caliber size but can be hunted legally with expanding bullets, however follow up shots are recommended to use solids. True pachyderms solids only. Got the info 2nd hand from a friend who got it from dept nat con.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Clint357 View Post
    Buffalo classified under the same banner due to legal caliber size but can be hunted legally with expanding bullets, however follow up shots are recommended to use solids. True pachyderms solids only. Got the info 2nd hand from a friend who got it from dept nat con.
    Thank you for the answer. My problem was, that some people classified it as being pachyderm. I can see, that the new rules now allow hunting leopard with150grain bullets i.e. 6,5x55mm and up which is quite a change from the previous.375 for dangerous game.

User

Classification of pachyderm is a large, thick skinned and hoofed mammal. This includes elephant, rhino and hippo. Interestingly enough the old classification included mammoths, but also hogs, warthogs etc?!? No mention of buff was ever made, but can see why some may say they could be included as a pachyderm.

Not sure why my old Afrikaans teacher escaped the classification inclusion? Maybe it was her broomstick that confused them?