Thread: .338 Sabi

User

Default .338 Sabi

Has anybody had any experience of this calibre and what are your comments?

User

Default Re: .338 Sabi

I have no personal experience with it but on paper it looks like a great bushveld cartridge. Nice heavy bullets(in comparison with 30 cals) at a moderate velocity.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

Contact Magnum magazine, Koos Barnard did an article on it a few years back.

No experience, but yes, does seem awesome on paper. Ammo is my concern though. You can only buy from Sabi Arms right? Definetly consider .338 Fed. Based on 308 case. 180, 185 and 210gr bullets (last mentioned is Nosler Partition). Developed by Federal together with Sako. At the moment only Sako chamber this calibre wich means its scarce and so the ammo to. BUT, rumour has it that Remmington and Tikka will chamber these and according to Chuck Hawks (amongst others) the .338Fed just might become very popular and ammo more availible.

User

With the demise of this cartridge (and the similar 333 OKH), there was a gap between the 30-06 class rifles and the larger 375 H&H magnum. For bushveld application, the 338 Magnum was regarded as too fast. What hunters wanted was a bushveld calibre in the same class as the old 318 Westley Richards. Because of the popularity of the 338 Magnum, 338 bullets have become readily available in a large range of weights and configurations.

The solution therefore was the 338 Sabi. Ballistically similar to the 338-06, it is not one. The Sabi’s case is blown out so that it is more of 9.3x62 necked down to 338. This was done not to increase velocity, but to lower pressure. This cartridge is also very easy on the shoulder for such a heavy bullet (recoil is about in the 30-06 class).

The cartridge was developed around the 250gr bullet at 2350ft/s. Although it will launch the 200grainer at about 2900ft/s this defeats the object of the calibre, which is:

* Low velocity for minimal meat damage, acceptable bullet performance from conventional construction bullets and deep penetration.

Sabi rifles load this bullet commercially (correctly headstamped, they also supply correctly headstamped cases for the reloader and are the only source of reloading dies) and they will also load any bullet of your choice upon request.

The cartridge is a proprietary cartridge of Magnum Arms (Sabi Rifles) and as a custom shop obviously they also build custom rifles for it (on any components of the client’s choice and to any specification).

This is a truly African cartridge which has over the last 10 years gained quite a following. This cartridge is capable of taking on the largest non dangerous game including Eland and Giraf
    fe.

All said, imo, if you are going to buy a new rifle and if you intend to hunt mainly Bushveld and closer (less than 250m) open areas it is very hard to beat the 9,3x62Mauser. Cheaper ammo available just about anywhere, cheap bullets for reloading, easy to reload, unsurpassed bushveld caliber for biltong hunters (just about no meat damage), excellent terminal performance, good enough on all game up to Buff, lightweight rifles, easy on the shoulder.

hi there.
    i own a sako .338,use it for cape hunt field shoots and also hunting.think i have it since 1996,enjoyed every minute of shooting with it

User

Quote Originally Posted by nzkhan
    hi there.
    i own a sako .338,use it for cape hunt field shoots and also hunting.think i have it since 1996,enjoyed every minute of shooting with it
    nzkhan

They are talking 338Sabi, a locally developed calibre by Sabi Rifles, not 338Win Mag.

User

Quote Originally Posted by nzkhan
    hi there.
    i own a sako .338,use it for cape hunt field shoots
    nzkhan, are you the guy who keeps on shooting our steel ghongs full of holes?? ;D
    See you at the Overberg shoot!

yes,will be at the overberg shoot,did a practise run last saturday at dsk with a few of the cape hunt guys.gongs are still ok grn1

User

The .338 Sabi looks like a great bushveld calibre. If you are willing to deal with the potential hassle o(and extra expense?) of getting dies and proprietory cases for this chambering then by all means, do so.

Else, I would rather go for a 9.3x62.