Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Scopes or Red Dots sights for an AR15

What would you guys recommend fitting to the carry handle of an AR, a Aimpoint or Trijicon ACOG? I was considering getting either the Aimpoint T1/H1 or an ACOG TA01. Anybody used an AGOC, I'd be interested in reviews. The Aimpoint has a 4 moa dot and the ACOG has crosshairs, I leaning towards the ACOG as I think the AR has better potential than 4moa.

I'm a little worried about the mounting height, but will have to live with that I suppose.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Default Re: Scopes or Red Dots sights for an AR15

Morning Craig,

Funny enough, I enquired about the ACOG TA01 this week. They are avialable in the country at a price of R9800,00 inc. Vat. They are advertised in the latest Man Magnum magazine, by EMC technologies.I think, purely because I have heard so much good stuff about them, that it would probably be the better of your two options. I was wanting to stick one on my LM5. Still debating it.

User

i know the ACOG is available with a dr optik 7moa IIRC mounted on top of it. Looks to be a best of both worlds compromise. ACOG for precision work dr for CQB I dont have any experience with this set up but it seems to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    i know the ACOG is available with a dr optik 7moa IIRC mounted on top of it. Looks to be a best of both worlds compromise. ACOG for precision work dr for CQB I dont have any experience with this set up but it seems to make sense.
    Only problem with this set up on top of the carry handle is barrel/sight offset. It will be huge with the dot. Its already 2 inches or so with the iron sights.

Depends on what you want the rifle for?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Good point seems the only solution is to buy some sort of AK derivative ;D

Only two choices as far as I'm concerned
    1. ACOG
    2.Leupold CQ/T

Quote Originally Posted by para
    Only two choices as far as I'm concerned
    1. ACOG
    2.Leupold CQ/T
    Para, if I had enough cash, I'd go with the S & B Shortdot without question, the Leupold doesn't get a very good review as the dot is apparently not bright enough to use as a dot sight, so you need to use it as a scope, then your maximum magnification is only x 3 which is possibly a little low. Then again this type of scope might also end up a but high on the rifle once mounted. The ACOG seems to have a lower profile when mounted on the handle. Just a little nervous to spend that money without seeing one.

FMJ, please let me know what you think of yours.

BigT, which derivative of the AK would you recommend, I'm open to suggestions?

SSP, Agree, would never get that version, would need to shoot from the hip just to get a sight picture. ;D
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

[quote=Craig ]

Just a point of interest, the authorities in charge has come out against issuing licenses for AK47 with the motivation of 3-Gun Shooting. They are not saying that they are not willing to license semi-autos but they are in principle against the idea of a AK47 and therefore you could expect a denial on a application for a AK47

[quote=Corné ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig

Just a point of interest, the authorities in charge has come out against issuing licenses for AK47 with the motivation of 3-Gun Shooting. They are not saying that they are not willing to license semi-autos but they are in principle against the idea of a AK47 and therefore you could expect a denial on a application for a AK47

Where did para post that? I can't seem to find it?
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Craig,

I think i just stuffed up trying to quote from your post. Look at your post and I added the issue regarding the AK's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast