User

Default Optimum rifle weight vs recoil

Is there an optimum rifle weight to counter the rifle's recoil?
    Heavier rifles recoil less due to the increased weight of the rifle that the recoil action must overcome.
    So is there a formula for optimum rifle weight that can counter recoil efficiently, but still keep the rifle "manageable"?

A .50cal does not have that much recoil in relation to its power, but I do not want to carry it around for a whole day.

User

Default Re: Optimum rifle weight vs recoil

Well weight isn't the only thing that tempers recoil.

Stock design also plays a significant role in recoil reduction.

The "straightness" of the stock influences the recoil direction. To help temper recoil the stock needs to be parallel with the direction of the recoil. Assume the recoil direction is perfectly level (like a rifle lying perfectly level in a rest), If you draw a straight line from the fore end of the stock to the recoil pad (precisely in the middle of the recoil pad) that line needs to be as parallel as possible to the recoil line.

A classic (straight) stock's line is more parallel to the recoil line than something like a Monte Carlo stock (the monte has a massive drop at heel causing the angle of the line between fore end and recoil pad to become rather skew). This effect also causes muzzle jump.

Secondly, the design of the butt of the stock. The bigger the surface area, the more the recoil force is spread over your shoulder. Here you have a slim butt (small surface area) that increases felt recoil vs. a wider/fatter butt (larger surface area) which decreases felt recoil.

As an example: my Sako 85 .30-06 weighs only 3.3kg (fairly light), but due to the very straight stock recoil is very easy on the shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by JPretorius View Post
    Is there an optimum rifle weight to counter the rifle's recoil?
    Heavier rifles recoil less due to the increased weight of the rifle that the recoil action must overcome.
    So is there a formula for optimum rifle weight that can counter recoil efficiently, but still keep the rifle "manageable"?

A .50cal does not have that much recoil in relation to its power, but I do not want to carry it around for a whole day.
    There are too many other things that come into play. Manageable is also a very open, manageable for you may not be for me.
    Give more detail, rifle, calibre, stock style and bullet weight etc. The quality of the reply often is determined by the quality of the question and the information given.

User

Would barrel types also make an impact, bull barrel compared to a normal barrel? Synthetic stock compared to a wooden stock?

User

Ady, bull barrel adds weight therefore reduces recoil. Synthetic stocks, depends on weight I suppose, does it add weight or reduce weight.

User

Thanks, i was going to ask you about the monte carlo stocks and then you covered it.

Very interesting, i never thaught about recoil and stocks in this way before.

I was thinking about synthetic stocks being less forgiving than wood stocks and perhaps having a greater felt recoil.

User

Hardness/stiffness of the stock material? Never heard anything like that. Would be interesting if someone knows.

User

The stock material makes no significant difference to recoil.

The single biggest factor that influences perceived recoil is the stock design, which rboshoff covered.

A friend of mine has a .308 that kicks like hell compared to my 06 and both rifles have completely different stock designs.

Banned

I think if you give an idea of your application of the intended firearm you wish to acquire then some meaningful info can be supplied.