Default Mannlicher-Schoenauer cal 6.5 x 68

Does any one know this caliber, 6.5 x 68? Any good?

Default Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer cal 6.5 x 68

Hi Wiggs. I just came accross your post re the 6.5x68 Mannlicher. I collect Mannlicher Schoenauer's and do have one, are you still looking for info??

User

Default Re: Mannlicher-Schoenauer cal 6.5 x 68

Wiggs, in Europe this is a caliber as seen to be the best long range rifle for mounting hunting ever designed. The Germans/Austrians has this caliber in the Mannlicher Schoenauer like the one you asking about as well as the Mauser version.It is a caliber you can shoot at high pressures and high speeds...as a trade-off you have to think about how long your barrel will last..my friend Hansie Minnaar `s opinion is about a thousand rounds , other shooters think about 500 to 800 rounds if you are use to shoot a lot of shots through a hot barrel..
    My good friend Georg Poppel, who lives in Germany has a Mannlicher Schoenauer 6.5x68 and he says it is a great, great caliber which he shoots regularly...the Mannlicher Schoenauer company made the barrels of these fast shooters with special steel Antitint I think...the spelling of the word may be lacking..but yes they used a tougher steel for the 8x68S barrels as well ...Brass is available if you have a friend in Europe...dies you can purchase from any re-loading die company...this caliber was until last week part of a build I was planning..due to opinions from hunters/shooters I discussed this caliber with they all suggested I rather look at building a .284 or 7mm long range rifle to shoot at anything that stand , move or run for fun..I would like a fun shooting long range rifle with less recoil..the Mannlicher Schoenauer /Mauser 6.5x68S will not fill this profile...
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...aliber-6-5X68S