Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Show me your SAKO

Lovely stock on your wife's rifle.

What bullet do you use for hunting the black grouse and what is the meat damage like, I assume you eat them?

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Lots of Sako rifles in SA

The 70th anniversary rifle was already featured elsewhere on this forum, but here's another picture of it at our backyard in the late springtime evening.

One of the first manufactured 75 Hunter in 6.5x55, ammo is 9 gram Lapua Scenar reloads...

Shot my first black grouse (Tetrao tetrix) with the 6.5x55, the laser rangefinder verified range was 264 meters. Lucky field shot... The bullet landed somewhere in Russia in the background

P94s Varmint on our hunting grounds in eastern Finland 30 km from the border of Soviet Russia, when my son was still small and the rifle was still long...

Since then I had its huge barrel cut to the Finnish legal rifle barrel minimum of 400 mm. I always shoot this rifle suppressed, hence the need to shorten it into more bush-compatible length for hunting small game like hazel grouse (Tetrastes bonasia) in the thickets. The Harris bipod was on the rifle just for zeroing it in.

We are a hunting family, me, my wife and son, so here's my wife's L46 .222 REM, 1960 vintage.

...and her very first black grouse shot with the L46 back in the day...

User

Oh yes, we certainly do eat them: Capercaillie, Hazel Grouse, Black Grouse... Delicious! Usually I separate the meat from the birds body, cut the meat into pieces, take a frying pan and one fist of butter (a lump of butter size of your fist), put everything on the hot pan, let the meat fry, add liquid of your liking, like beer or cranberry cider, maybe even some water or red wine, thicken the sauce with flour or cornstarch, add salt and pepper (we here in Finland still find salt and pepper exotic spices) and some chili for a twist, let it cook at fairly low temperature for an hour or so. Serve with boiled potatoes with the green stuff of your liking (or without) and enjoy the meal.

The preferred bullet would be a full metal jacket, then the meat loss is minimal, unless you happen to hit the gizzard which is very dense piece of muscle with tiny stones inside: the end result may be blown up bird. The most common caliber for hunting the birds is .222 Rem, but I've shot most of them with .223 and 6.5X55, so it really doesn't matter as long you wont be using expanding bullets like I once did...

About that one time... Well, I happened to have zeroed my Sako 75 6.5X55 with Norma Oryx ammunition, which is has a superb expanding bonded bullet and thought to myself "Nah, it ain't for sure gonna have time to expand inside a tiny creature like a black grouse, right?"

Wrong...

Shot a bird through the sweet spot in the upper body, range a bit over 100 meters and it fell like it was hit in his head with a hammer, BOOM! down he goes like rag. I thought "nice shot, whoa I'm so good at this shit!"

Later when I was skinning the bird I noticed that there was plenty of time for the bullet to expand... The entry side breast was quite edible, but the exit side was like it was something out of a horror movie or a blast from the past history: "No more dumdum bullets, please, sahib!"

A lesson learned: no more dumdum bullets when hunting edible small game...

Oh, since this is a picture thread, let's have one here...

When my son was about enter the army as a conscript, I gave him training in all the disciplines he'd need to know, like urban warfare during which training I took this picture of him with my Sako M92s. He loved the idea of knowing these things better than his would be instructors would know...

I know, it's utterly unfair, but most of the FDF instructors were quite happy to hear his insights of the fighting techniques on modern battlefield

User

Thanks.

Banned

Arrow Re: Show me your SAKO

I know, it's utterly unfair, but most of the FDF instructors were quite happy to hear his insights of the fighting techniques on modern battlefield
    I think you need to go across to the 4x4community site and chat to a guy called JOUKO
    You may have something in common -- apart from both being FINNS
    Our relatives will be doing a Baltic cruise soon -- stopping in Helsinki ( and St Petersburg ) no Capercaillie there though
    PS ; I have the book on Mannerheim
    Where have any Finns fought in recent times ?

User

Mannerheim was a very controversial figure, didn't speak a word of Finnish, was basically a glorified mercenary and made lots of bad decisions during the continuation war, but in the end was instrumental in saving Finland as a sovereign democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenneke View Post
    Where have any Finns fought in recent times ?
    The official Finland is fighting a shooting war in Afghanistan, but unofficially there are quite a great number of Finnish mercs at he global hot spots, some of the guys I know, some of them not. We've got the gene, so we fight :)

Banned

Arrow Re: Show me your SAKO

The official Finland is fighting a shooting war in Afghanistan, but unofficially there are quite a great number of Finnish mercs at he global hot spots, some of the guys I know, some of them not. We've got the gene, so we fight :)
    How did you guys ever get caught up in that mess ?
    I thought that after Martti Oiva Kalevi Ahtisaari you had enough of the UN ?

User

Well, we hang around with NATO and get ourselves into shitty situations. The FDF loves the opportunity to get combat experience, but at the same time we've become a target for terrorists. Nicely played...not.

User

Hi all. So I've taken ownership of my uncles L46 222 as my first rifle. Whooo! Firstly it needs a new safety as the current one doesn't function. So any recommendations on a gun smith to fix it in jhb? Secondly what type of game is it good for hunting? I see some comments on birds and the like. Any small buck at all? Obviously I need to spend lots of time at the range to get used to it as I'm only used to my pistol. Which just shoots paper and the one bird that landed on the paper.

User

Found this thread, subscribed immediately and am now bumping into 2018 in the hopes that a few more examples can be added. Mine to follow after licensing process completed. So like in 6 months...

User

I would have posted my budget Sako (A7) but damn there are to many beautiful rifles on here!!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast