Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Default AK Pron - Calling all AK experts

as the title says im calling all the AK47 and AKM experts here. My question is how can you tell when your AK style rifle was built? I know how to identify most AK style rifles from the markings but im struggling to find info on how to decode the serial number to determine age and build date, is this possible?

http://www.ak-47.us/AK47_Markings.php

Default Re: calling all AK experts

The markings alone will rarely give you the whole picture. You may also need to look at the design, materials and method of manufacture of the particular rifle in order to understand not only by whom it was made but also the period during which it was made. For example my Izhevsk manufactured AKS is identifiable as such and can be proven to be more than 50 years old (which helps collectability) by virtue of the fact that it is made on a Type 3 milled receiver (which was last manufactured in 1959). None of the markings themselves provide that information.

Spiggs,seems like my AKM is Russian (after consulting the site you posted) as to the date of manufacture, maybe the experts can shed some light on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    The markings alone will rarely give you the whole picture. You may also need to look at the design, materials and method of manufacture of the particular rifle in order to understand not only by whom it was made but also the period during which it was made. For example my Izhevsk manufactured AKS is identifiable as such and can be proven to be more than 50 years old (which helps collectability) by virtue of the fact that it is made on a Type 3 milled receiver (which was last manufactured in 1959). None of the markings themselves provide that information.
    PS: in many instances the original serial number is a combination of Cyrillic alphabet and and Arabic numbering.
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 28-10-2012 at 09:41.

one of my AK's in particular im trying to get info on, from the markings its a Chinese type 56 with pig sticker bayonet, having been made in Chinese state factory 66, i believe later on that North west china industries owned that factory around 71' and then in the 80's it became the norinco factory. From research ive done they started producing these between 56' and 71' I was told before that this AK is a mid 60's model but i dont have any proof! The funiture appears to be AKM furniture and not original at all althought the furniture is part of the reason i bought this gun.

A side note if you have an AK or AK varient please post i pic, i'd love to see what other members have in there collections.

@WZ please post a pic of said AK also 30.06 please put up a pic of yours i'd like to see it

DSC03008.jpg
    Hi Spiggs,these are what I have.

This is the one im talking about!

might be easier to see on the blue

@30-06 i would be very happy to take that under folder off your hands and i would be very happy to pay a very generous price! When can i collect?

Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast