Default Knowledge data base ....... let me explain

I am a great believer of putting back and not just taking. This site has been invaluable in my growth as a shooter and reloader.

However as I spend more time on the site I notice the same questions coming up and the same answers being given each time. I find this a little irritating at times and realised that I too would have irritated forum members with my questions ..... may still do?

So this got me think that if we could have online working groups to co-author articles that are presented to Gunsite that these could be included under a new section. The purpose being that before people ask question that they have a resource to read up on various aspects. Obviously they would need to carry the sanction of Gunsite and would need to be finally vetted by them.

Articles that immediately come to mind are;

- Introduction to reloading and the components required for a budget start or a full on start. This would not be aimed at replacing reloading manuals but a desription of what each piece of kit does and its importance.
    - Hunting rifle and scope selection (I think it is possible to answer many questions with an article like this).
    - Load development techniques and the interpretation of group patterns.
    - Somchem batch data (we could get Somchem to update us with the burn rates of new powders etc.)

Is this feasible / doable / of interest etc.

I would be happy to get involved but the knowledge base need to be wide and inclusive.

Cheers
    Andrew

User

Default Re: Knowledge data base ....... let me explain

agree 100%

I made the suggestion recently of a FAQ in the umpteenth thread about "can a FA licensed for sport be used for SD?"

It is basically what sticky threads are for. The problem is not getting the knowledge out there, it is the user. Someone that comes and asks "what pistol should I buy" before bothering to just read the first page of the Handgun thread, is not going to read the well meant articles.

Many users come onto GS and use it like Google, thinking that the contributing members are sitting here just waiting for the next guy to ask a noob question so that they may answer him in detail. Tell him to search, they get pissed off. Sure, the search function isn't great, but if they don't even read the stickies, it won't help.

But, feel free to post such a thread, and if it is deserving perhaps a mod will sticky it for you (and us all).
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I'd be glad to sticky it. I don't know how to force people to read the stickys though.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I'd be glad to sticky it. I don't know how to force people to read the stickys though.

We have a few testimonials of banned members that go out with the welcome email. :-D

Search or find a hammer. ;-P

Kidding.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Stickies are just easier to reference when you "send" someone there, instead of trying to find that post which you know should exist somewhere...

The search function really isn't great, and just telling people "go search" is counterproductive imho. I fully support the idea of relevant stickies for the oft-asked questions!

:- P

top-of-the-list should of course be "why to buy and M&P rather than a Glock"

User

Just brainstorming here. How about a "FAQ for New and Prospective Gunowners" section in popular categories maybe?

User

Some thoughts:
    Even if questions are asked many times, there are some pluses. Firstly, it allows for updated answers instead of old information, secondly they can serve as reminders to others that may have forgotten about various items, thirdly it encourages thinking and communicating between forum users/members.
    I know I have posted some threads that asked questions previously addressed, but I'm not interested in last years info, or old info on new products, there are developments and new products all the time.

As far as I know forums are works that continue to update, that work in conjunction with and encourage communication and community. If I wanted old information I could look in a book, or google it. Let's remember the forum sponsors / advertisers too, they benefit from traffic; if the forum becomes picky, unhelpful and dull then traffic will decline, advertisers will pull out etc.

I'm just saying.

User

For noobs, include this as part of the registration mail:

Using google to search the forum do the flowing in the search window: gunsite.co.za: search terms

Google will find it even when incorrectly spelled.

Rgrds