Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default "Diplopoint" I think not

A week or so back myself and a buddy, after having a really crap morning at work decided to go throw a bit of lead at pieces of paper imagining some of those frustrations. Well being in the middle of the week we had none of our own reloads with us we decided to go to Dave Sheer and just purchase a box or 2 of range ammo, no ploblem. ( Diplopoint Silver Box, 124 gr CMJ )

OOOOPS BIG PROBLEM

Below are 2 pics, they show the setback that was achieved while fiddling with one bullet and by squeezing the bullet between thumb a forefinger, this happened to 5 bullets out of half of the first box and 8 bullets out of the second box, the guys behind the counter had no problem replacing the defective bullets so no problem there, the first issue is, is this acceptable or am I just being full of sh!t, I think not and as far as I am concerned any setback like this which did compress the loads will send the best of guns to that big gun heaven in the sky, who is liable??

The second issue and even more important, I took the 7 replacement bullets and the offender home with me to check things out.

I pulled all the Bullets and the results are as follows, from left to right are the respective charges weighed on a Redding Balance beam scale.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what the load should have been , propellant was not MP 200 or MS 200 or I may be mistaken, some of the rounds that I did fire had hefty recoil for a 9 and threw some heavy flame out of the ejection port. they were hotter than anything I have ever shot and I have gone as far as 5.4 grains MP200 on 115 JHP, My standard load at the moment is 4.7 to 4.8 grains MP 200 behind a 124 gr CMJ and they are puppy dog lite compared to the loads put together by Diplopoint, I have a funny feeling that it might just have been S121, the primers were even cratered back into the firing pin hole.

As for me Diplopoint will never find a home in any of my mags again, its not a bitch session and I could have just said nothing but I think that we all need to know as a lesser gun might have been in trouble. Check before you shoot.

Back to one of my other posts , Speer , FC, and Blazer cases definately have a thinner walls and if your tapercrimp die is not set up correctly and you are loading mismatched cases you will have a problem with setback.

P1011340.jpgP1011339.jpg

User

Default Re: "Diplopoint" I think not

My slr competency shoot was nearly cut short,when the mini didnt want to feed the ammo too lekka,+ a brass failure,this "shredded".The trainers kept the offending case and the now interesting looking "target"...

Upside was I got too shoot again/some more lol.

To make things exciting,when the trainer allowed me to put a few rounds through his personal .45,the extracter "broke",could be coincidence,but hey,I certainly will never feed any of theirs through any of mine!
    Last edited by curious george; 14-11-2012 at 17:09.

User

Before I started reloading, I use to shoot diplopoints in. 40. I shot about 800 of them with my P30 and never had a single problem. All the reloading manuals that I've seen for
    .40, indicates the COL as 28.8mm. I once took some rondom samples from a batch I bought and all of them measured between 28.80 and 28.84mm. I also squeezed them between my fingers with no setback. But by the sound of it, I was just very lucky?

User

Ive shot plenty diplopoint in all my guns besides a few failures here and there nothing like what happened above?

User

There has been changes at DSG. I used to use them. The last 9mm batch was shocking! Same with 223.
    Henry totally messed up my order and than totally over charged me. I now buy Luger factory rounds for 5c more per round.

Not trying to be funny, but it is reloads... I'm pretty sure everyone knows quality of reloads are.. Be my guest if you wish to pay double for new ammo.... I'm just saying
    Last edited by TJ; 14-11-2012 at 18:51.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Not trying to be funny, but it is reloads... I'm pretty sure everyone knows quality of reloads are.. Be my guest if you wish to pay double for new ammo.... I'm just saying
    Reloads is not the answer. My reloads do not fail. The answer is operator error and that is not forgivable.

User

Shot quiet a few hundred rounds of Diplopoint .40S&W through my HK, never had one issue.
    But i will check them before a shoot to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy The Kid View Post
    Reloads is not the answer. My reloads do not fail. The answer is operator error and that is not forgivable.
    You missing the point here..Factory loading and private loading is completely different... The answer is don't like reloads buy new ammo if not reload yourself. Don't blame the supplier for trying to help you save money.. Once again we all know what reload quality is like, you know the risk of buying this ammo in the first place
    Last edited by TJ; 14-11-2012 at 19:47.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    You missing the point here..Factory loading and private loading is completely different... The answer is don't like reloads buy new ammo if not reload yourself. Don't blame the supplier for trying to save you money..
    That's true. But you could implement better quality control.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast