Default Which Rifle????

I have been a shotgunner for many years, and new legislation forced me to get dedicated status to keep my semi-auto shotgun. I am very new to the hunting game, and would like to get the most suitable rifle first time (on a fairly limited budget). My hunting list would be Springbok, Impala, Blesbok and Kudu – Probably nothing bigger. I am considering a 308, 30-06 or 270 and would probably get reloading equipment too. I would appreciate some input from you experienced guys.

User

Default Re: Which Rifle????

Nothing wrong with the calibers you're looking at but maybe also look at the 7x57, if you do reloading this is even better. I've used mine on SWB, Gemsbok, Blesbok on the plains 200-350m and BWB, Impala and Kudu in the bush 80-150m. The recoil on the 7x57 is also not hard. The other way to go is get a .303 (they are going cheap) for bush and 270 for plains, always better to have more that one rifle. hpy180

User

Default Re: Which Rifle????

The 7x57 and .308 is great calibresa with mild recoil.

The .270 and .30-06 have heavier recoil but you should be used to that seen that you are used to a shotgun.

The .270 shoots flatter than the others mentioned and will do for kudu. However it is limited in respect of bullet weights. The heaviest bullet is lighter than that of a 7x57.
    The .30-06 is very versatile, not such a flat shooter, but you can handload for any situation/hunt. It will do for widebeest aswell and I know a lot of hunters bags eland with this calibre. Bullet weights from 110grain upto 220gr is available.
    The 7x57 is a fantastic rifle. but the heaviest bullet is +-175grain.

Try to get some shooting done with these calibres to assist you in your decision.