Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default FOUR BALL ONE TRACER

Just received a new book - looks good!!

FOUR BALL ONE TRACER: Commanding Executive Outcomes in Angola and Sierra Leone.

Book by Roelf van Heerden as told to Andrew Hudson.

The Contents list promises some very good intriguing reading.

Default Re: FOUR BALL ONE TRACER

Are you retailing it, Khumba?

If so what is the price?

Thanks
    Sweet

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    Are you retailing it, Khumba?

If so what is the price?

Thanks
    Sweet
    No but it is a good idea

I got it at Kalahari for R266 - they have free shipping until end Dec.

http://www.kalahari.com/books/Four-B.../45783771.aspx

User

I have read it...it is an interesting read for sure , I found the author a little "self serving" in the book. He keeps pushing the fact that he was military trained officer thate the rest of EO leadership were not so that automatically made him better than others.....other than the at an interesting read.

User

From Eben Barlow's Military Blog - a good endorsement imo:

Roelf discusses a lot of things – the training, the tactics, the hardships and the laughs. He tells his story as he lived it – straight and to the point. He also pays tribute to the many good men who served in EO and used their skills and knowledge to bring about positive change in war torn countries.

I do not want to spoil anyone’s anticipation but I would recommend Roelf’s book to anyone who is interested in a lot more detail about EO’s operations.

It is a very good read.

Thanks Khumba, have read Eben Barlows book which I could not put down.Highly recommend it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    I have read it...it is an interesting read for sure , I found the author a little "self serving" in the book. He keeps pushing the fact that he was military trained officer thate the rest of EO leadership were not so that automatically made him better than others.....other than the at an interesting read.
    Many military autobiographical works are highly self-serving, but they can still be immensely informative and educational reads. I enjoy most of them.

User

He didn't really puff himself up, just stated that he'd had formal pro training on what they were supposed to do, and some of the guys who had to plan stuff hadn't. I guess he believed in the quality of his staff training, not really a bad thing at all. All in all, I found it a very informative read, especially having been to a great many of the places in the book.

From my 'tour' in Sierra Leone, I was always curious about this little Mi17 rotting quietly in the corner of the one airport. The name is a giveaway :)

9th Tour 034.jpg

User

Quote Originally Posted by ARM505 View Post
    He didn't really puff himself up, just stated that he'd had formal pro training on what they were supposed to do, and some of the guys who had to plan stuff hadn't. I guess he believed in the quality of his staff training, not really a bad thing at all. All in all, I found it a very informative read, especially having been to a great many of the places in the book.

From my 'tour' in Sierra Leone, I was always curious about this little Mi17 rotting quietly in the corner of the one airport. The name is a giveaway :)

9th Tour 034.jpg
    are those bullet impacts in the centre top panel ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by ARM505 View Post

9th Tour 034.jpg
    Jah...I suppose I am being a little biased...I personally knew some of the guys he was "dissing" , all of them were experience in combat and had probably faced more shit that Roelf and when I chatted to some of the ex EO guys they reckoned that Roelf was probably being a bit harsh in his criticism...anyway I don't know Roelf personally but I served with a few of the guys that took a bit of criticism from him and so have my personal opinion which probably as I said is a bit biased. I still found the book interesting and a good read, I did enjoy Ebens account more although the books are really different.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast