Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: whats yor EDC knife and trusted torch?

Quote Originally Posted by uBestRi View Post
    The wife gave me one of these last year and I think it's brilliant. Easy to use, extremely bright, but can be set on lower brightness, very strong.
    http://www.hailstormza.com/OLIGHT-M20-S_p_171.html
    i also have the Olight, that thing is damn bright! I got the set with rechargeable batteries, carry pouch etc, good buy, very happy!

blades: always at least 2, matriach or civilian right pocket with rotating straight edge left pocket, anything in m390 will do!

You must get the new matriarch if you haven't already got one. It's 10 times the knife of the old one with its steel liners. Much stronger which in my opinion is what you want for self defence. I have the old one, and it seems a bit soft compared to endura wave build. But they used the endura wave body now and fitted the matriarch blade, and also went away from full flat ground. One serious improvement. . .

User

Okay guys so I've been contemplating an EDC torch now for a loooong time and never got used to the actual idea that I may actually be carrying a torch every day (not only in my car, but on my actual person when going out at night). So, I've been looking at torches and looked at prices and mostly just didn't find something for me. I wanted an Olight i1 due to it's size, weight, power and price (R250, 180 lumens from a single CR123A battery) but when Hailstorm didn't have any stock and didn't have an ETA (Olight was also out of stock) I gave up on the idea. So I looked into other lights, found a few some Surefire, Inforce, Thrunite, ITP, Elzetta and even looked at LED Lenser again (I know), but didn't find anything that really tickled my fancy.

So, I stumbled over the Olight S20 Baton the other day. R500, 470 lumens, 2xCR123A batteries and a few very nifty features and I was pretty much hooked. I was just wondering - does anyone have any experience with it? I tried calling Hailstorm but they're closed (figured as much when I tried), and sent an email to Jaques to hold one out for me (if possible). I'll probably pick it up on Monday or Tuesday next week. Really looking forward to the little torch. Such a small package, really can't wait!

Now I just need to find an affordable little folder I can EDC. The Buck I had lost his screws and I've been really depressed ever since! And I'll be crazy before I buy a R1,200 folder for EDC. Hell that's a lot of ammo-money!

User

Toxxyc, for an EDC I tend to go with CRKT. They are affordable, good quality and have decent designs.

For EDC though I prefer a fixed blade. Quicker to deploy and no chance of it not being able to open.

I also tend to have a folder, but that's for every day cutting not SD.

KBK

Yeah, for budget folders look at the Byrd range of knives. Their Spyderco's "budget" range. I have two of them and they are decent.

For a fixed blade, I'm considering the KaBar TDI as my next knife.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Two of my Byrds. They are great knives, but they are made in China, if this is an issue with you just a heads up. On the down side I found both those Byrds pocket clips prone to catching on things and they have now been bent out of shape. They only get carried sparingly these days.

My CRKT that was my wedding present from my wife. The Spyderco was a Valentines Day present. I love my wife.

My main pocket knife these days is a CRKT M21-02 or a Gerber Applegate Mini Covert. My main fixed blade is a Cold Steel Counter Tac. I'm still waiting for Geoff to get me my CRKT Sting II and sheath back to me.

This pic is a couple of years old. I'll post an updated version soon.

User

Huh, my photography skills have degraded :(

Anyway, the E2D has been upgraded to an LED with an aftermarket LED conversion and now rides on my Saiga. The Glock 26 has been equipped with a TLR-3 which is brighter than the original E2D, but not as bright as the E2D LED conversion or the Streamlight PT2-L that replaced the E2D. I'm not as happy with the PT2 as it has a multi mode interface and I like on/off. I'm wanting a Scout Ultra head to replace the E2D's conversion. The Streamlight isn't as bright as I want either, but it will do for now, until I can find another light I like - small, light, bright. Preferably single output but because the firearm has a light I'm ...tolerant of the PT2-L All have been equipped with stippling or grip tape to improve grip.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Hi James , I would like to see a pic of the fixed blade knife if you could .tims
    Hey Tims, sorry its taken a while to,post this, been ridiculously busy. Here's my fixed blade. I had a trainer made dull edge but exact copy to train acquisition too.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1376083875.050769.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

User

Quote Originally Posted by james@ss View Post
    Hey Tims, sorry its taken a while to,post this, been ridiculously busy. Here's my fixed blade. I had a trainer made dull edge but exact copy to train acquisition too.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1376083875.050769.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Thanks James will send PM tims

User

When I bought my Olight some info I got at various other forums was that torches that take 2 x cr123 batteries can also take 1 x 18500 battery which lasts longer and recharges better. I can't comment whether this is actually the case but it definitely influenced my choice of torch.

The kit I bought came with Olight m21x, belt holster, diffuser, 2 cr123, 2 18500 and charger

Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast