Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Can you record a police officer/traffic officer?

I got pulled over the other day for going over the speed limit by a few km. While talking to the cop I dropped the f-bomb unintentionally and not directed at him. He asked me not to talk like that in front of him which I replied by saying I use the word a lot and it wasn't intentional or aimed at him. In return he just kept raising his voice threatening to arrest me and I kept saying there is no need to shout, he continued until he was literally shouting at me right up in my face at this point I decided to tell him I'm getting my phone out to record his behavior to which he replied its illegal to film an officer to which I ignored and continued to do, his attitude changed quickly and he became very polite once I was recording him.

It was as if he wanted me to beg and grovel to him not to arrest me, which I would not do and just stood my ground eventually in silence while he let loose at me.

I could have understood his reaction if I swore at him but that was not the case. So what is the law on filming police/traffic officers and what is the law on dropping a swear word in front of them if it is not aimed at them. It seems as if they will use anything these days to try get one over on you or belittle you because they always have to be right in their little power trip reality.

User

Default Re: Can you record a police officer/traffic officer?

You can be fined for swearing in public. R50 fine, same as urinating in public...
    Not going to break the bank on that one unless you have a Mel Gibson meltdown........

AFAIK it's not illegal to film them, however, from recent stories in the papers etc it seems like they will chase you down, force you off the road, take you phone/camera and delete the pics.
    That is also illegal from their side, but good luck with the long court battle if you want to stand up for yourselves against them.
    However, just pointing out that not all Traffic/Police Officers are like that. No use painting everyone with the same brush....
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    You can be fined for swearing in public.
    Wow. Never knew that.

Is sitting in your car considered 'in public' then?

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneA View Post
    I got pulled over the other day for going over the speed limit by a few km. While talking to the cop I dropped the f-bomb unintentionally and not directed at him. He asked me not to talk like that in front of him which I replied by saying I use the word a lot and it wasn't intentional or aimed at him. In return he just kept raising his voice threatening to arrest me and I kept saying there is no need to shout, he continued until he was literally shouting at me right up in my face at this point I decided to tell him I'm getting my phone out to record his behavior to which he replied its illegal to film an officer to which I ignored and continued to do, his attitude changed quickly and he became very polite once I was recording him.

It was as if he wanted me to beg and grovel to him not to arrest me, which I would not do and just stood my ground eventually in silence while he let loose at me.

I could have understood his reaction if I swore at him but that was not the case. So what is the law on filming police/traffic officers and what is the law on dropping a swear word in front of them if it is not aimed at them. It seems as if they will use anything these days to try get one over on you or belittle you because they always have to be right in their little power trip reality.

Moral of the story, do not speed. If you do and you are caught, most people can't determine who f-bombs are directed at. What would you have done in his shoes (considrring they do get abuse regularly)?

Get a cheap dashboard cam. Leave it recording.

The fight avoided is the fight won. Paraphrased of course.

User

I remember according to the RICA Act you are within your legal right to record any conversation you are a party to.

I was once challenged to hand over my cellphone after being spotted recording on my cell at a traffic stop. It was testy, ploice weren't too happy and made me delete the video on my phone before they let me go. also told me I could be arrested.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneA View Post

I am a policeman for 20 years. You come with that attitude to my town (Jeffrey's Bay/Humansdorp) and I will show you what a old policeman can do if he really wants to take you on a "little power trip reality". The cop tolled you already - it is illegal to intentionally film someone (or someone's property), without prior permission! Why still asking in here. I should have let you film me while my phone in my poked discretely records the conversation and then I should have confiscated your phone and charged you with gathering intelligence and conspiring/planing a unlawful act. Of course that charge will be later dropped for I will not be interested in it. But that will give me the CAS nr. and authority to arrest and detain you for further investigation at the station. Your lawyer will get you out of the police cell in no time but he won't be able to stop the civil case regarding the unauthorized video recording of my person, which I will bring against you in a civil authority. (Yeah, you guess right - cops are also people like everybody else). Been there, done that twice in the last 6 years . And trust me, depending on your temperament, I won't settle for peanuts . . . But then again is your choice.
    To all the other law abiding forumites. Sorry for posting this mean reply but I felt, this will help the OP to think twice before overspending and trying to play the cop down to get off the hook. Especially this time of the year. Wish nice holidays to everyone (OP included ) and drive safe. Peace

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
    The cop tolled you already...
    Does the cop work for SANRAL?

Can you please provide us a reference to the act that states it is illegal to record someone?

Thank you for your apology, but let me be the first to say that it is that kind of attitude, as displayed in your post, which gives cops a bad name.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Gomario, we are not interested in what cops think they can do. We want to know what the law says. If it is illegal, then I will not do it. If it is legal for me to record you then whywould you abuse your power? Since you are a cop please tell us what the law says and which Act you are refering to. You attitude is exactly why we as law abiding citizens need to know the law. So we can protect ourselves from the cops who do not or the ones who deliberately abuse it.

Sean.

User

Yeah, also funny how Gomario states it is illegal to record someone without permission, and then threatens to do exactly that to you should he pull you over.

With his phone in his "poked".
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast