Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
    User

Default Re: Can you record a police officer/traffic officer?

Interesting thread, I'll give a Finn viewpoint. I have lots of friends working for the Police force, all stand up guys and gals, but not everyone act by the book and some policemen do make up their own rules. I think it's a global standard, some just can't hold back the power invested in them and some more.

Recording a police officer in Finland? Totally legal at your home and in public places (for example a shopping mall is considered a public place since you have access there by default), your car and everywhere but at someone else's property without the consent of the property owner. You may record every interaction with authorities, in your car, at police station, at their office, anywhere while they are conducting their official business. This ensures due process and helps recalling who said what and when.

You can also record your own telephone conversations without telling the other party. This is what I do, helps with telephone sales persons who falsely claim "You bought it!" And there may be moments when you are a target of false accusations, these times the recordings are priceless... And I don't have to take notes when I drive and speak to the phone (legal in Finland with a hand free system).

There are some limitations with the installation of surveillance cameras: you may not spy you neighbours, you may not record what happens on public roads, so the surveillance is limited to your own property. Also you have to have a sign stating the area is under surveillance so anyone entering your property should know they are under surveillance.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Totally legal ... in public places ... your car ...

... you may not record what happens on public roads ...
    That seems like a bit of a paradox, especially since public roads are where most non-criminal insurance claims originate. Why the exclusion? I take it dashcams are rare there?

User

A dashcam isn't considered a "surveillance camera", so you can use one legally. And they are pretty popular here in Finland.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11