Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Can you record a police officer/traffic officer?

Quote Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
    Your lawyer will get you out of the police cell in no time but he won't be able to stop the civil case regarding the unauthorized video recording of my person, which I will bring against you in a civil authority. (Yeah, you guess right - cops are also people like everybody else). Been there, done that twice in the last 6 years . And trust me, depending on your temperament, I won't settle for peanuts . . . But then again is your choice.

Sounds like you have an angle on scamming the public for personal gain?? Is that legal?? That's one step past a standard bribe dude, just done under the auspices of a "civil case" - Robbery is probably a better word.

Oh ja. Please can you state the law that says it is illegal to film a policeman?

Geez Gomario...Talk about a power trip! Please don't threaten someone that you will show him what an old policeman on a powertrip can do. Since you know the law so well, you should know that threatening someone is also an offence.You are not really helping to change the perception...

User

Gomario your attitude is making all cops look bad and definitely verges on abuse of power ,good luck to you when you pull over a ex colonel or someone that properly knows the law and will screw your ass in court and not let it go . Dan is jou klein power trip in sy moer!

User

People I am not going to go into a mindless argument in here. PLEEEEEASE read my entire reply, especially the end part (which some seem to have missed). Do you chaps have a clue how many time cops are abused (phisically and verbally) and threatened? Do you know how many are killed and/or injured because of, or during their duty? I can't remember the exact law which my lawyer used in both cases. It is a few years back by now. In both cases we eventually got a 'out of court' settlement. I remember my Lawyer went on about my face been clearly recognizable on the video and the previous criminal record of the accused parties and that the video was taken without my permission. I still remember, one video was very incriminating - it looked like the perpetuator forgot that the camera is recording his own voice too. And people do not confuse a video recording with a audio only recording! And finally, please read the last part of my previous message. Of course, I won't go to extremes like that easily or just for fun but if pushed over the limit what must I do? I must defend myself. Please, you are welcomed to come to my station (or a station near you) and work as a reservist for a few days (or nights). I am pretty sure, at least some of you, will change their minds after seeing how some member of the public treats them. Fortunately the majority is OK. Once again, Peace to everyone.

User

[QUOTE=Gomario;357933] but if pushed over the limit what must I do? QUOTE]

That is like a teacher saying, i had to beat the crap out of that kid, he pushed me over my limit with his bad attitude

Quote Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
    Do you chaps have a clue how many time cops are abused (phisically and verbally) and threatened? Do you know how many are killed and/or injured because of, or during their duty?
    One this site? - Of course we do, and in that regard I have no doubt you will find a lot of support and sympathy by members here. But please don't try and tell us that pulling a fast one, or attempting to bribe people is acceptable. It's an abuse of power, and you'll not get much sympathy here for that.

User

Sound like the kind of cop that will end up paying for your car, house and education of your future children.

User

Gomario, how many cops have been injured or killed by someone recording a conversation with a cell phone. The public also get abused and victimised by rogue cops looking for bribes or just on a power trip. Recording the incident is our way of protecting our selves. Also, I think the courts time can be better used prosecuting serious crimes instead of stroking the fragile ego's of policemen who have forgotten that the service of the public are the reason that they exist in the first place. If someone has committed a crime then by all means prosecute and deliver justice. Manufacturing a case for your own gain serves neither justice or the already dismall image of the SAPS.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Do you know how many citizens are abused (verbally or physically) or threatened by police? You are the ones with the power- A higher level of maturity and responsibility should come with a unifrom. The OP clearly says he didn't swear at the officer, and even if he did, the officer has to behave like an officer and conduct himself accordingly. After all, he is serving the public, the public is not serving him. I am sure none of us have a problem with a policeman using force when facing a physical threat, and since many of us civilians carry firearms 24/7, we are under no illusions of how dangerous your job is. But a person swearing in your presence has absolutely F*all to do with a physical threat or officers being killed during their duty.

Maybe more cops will be treated with respect by the public if more cops treat the public with respect, instead of expecting them to just say yes and amen to whatever legal rules the cop makes up on the spot, for fear of being arrested/locked up/ abused. I would suggest you have an answer when you tell someone that filming you is illegal, and he asks which act declares it as such. Otherwise you shouldn't wonder why he is being hardegat with you.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    Gomario, how many cops have been injured or killed by someone recording a conversation with a cell phone. The public also get abused and victimised by rogue cops looking for bribes or just on a power trip. Recording the incident is our way of protecting our selves. Also, I think the courts time can be better used prosecuting serious crimes instead of stroking the fragile ego's of policemen who have forgotten that the service of the public are the reason that they exist in the first place. If someone has committed a crime then by all means prosecute and deliver justice. Manufacturing a case for your own gain serves neither justice or the already dismall image of the SAPS.
    +Ten thousand ,just because numbers and zero's get lost

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast