Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Gomario, you have still not provided any proof for your claims of recording anybody, but cops in particular, being illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomario View Post
    People I am not going to go into a mindless argument in here. PLEEEEEASE read my entire reply, especially the end part (which some seem to have missed). Do you chaps have a clue how many time cops are abused (phisically and verbally) and threatened?
    I did read your entire reply, hard as it was 'wiff vat speling'. What I still get is a clear threat from your side that you don't care about the law and will just make someone's day and life hell if you feel like it, simply because you can.

That is called abuse of power.

Please go read the OP again, carefully. He did not swear at the cop nor did he abuse the cop, he merely said the f-word, probably out of frustration with himself.

The is a HUGE difference between saying 'oh f...' and saying 'f... you'.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Default Re: Can you record a police officer/traffic officer?

I think the Dog Unit fund raiser run on GS the other day that pulled in thousands of Rands shows that this site is not anti SAPS. There have been a few reports from users where SAPS stop them and then hollowpoint ammo, IWB carry, 10+ mag capacity \ mag not full etc is "illegal" and they are threatened with arrest. So getting a second opinion on what a SAPS member says can be a good idea.

User

O yeah wanted to ask if permission is needed to film someone can anyone please explain cctv and general security cams?

User

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    O yeah wanted to ask if permission is needed to film someone can anyone please explain cctv and general security cams?
    Good point Gertjie!

Not to mention that Leon Schuster would've rotted in jail a loooooooong time ago!

User

Gertjie, I think there is a distinction, regarding cameras, with regard to public and private property. On your own property your can record what you like and if someone refuses to let you record then you can make it a provision of the right to admission. Public space may be different and that is why I am interested to see the OP's original question answered.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

I can get the thing about private property but lets think a moment about carte blanche and their hidden cameras etc. How about news cameras?
    Also waiting for the qeustion answered.

User

...or where your CCTV camera records part of the street in front of your house...

...or the tourist on Table Mountain who pans over you... or, or, or...

I don't think we're getting an answer, 'cause I don't think its illegal at all.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

... or your house is on google streetview without your consent.

User

I remember a discussion on this issue on a photography forum (outdoorphoto.co.za), I searched for it but from my cell it is mission impossible. What I do remember is that in a public place you can snap away. SA do not have a law prohibiting photography (I assume the same then of video) of government officials or buildings.

There are some considerstions, like interfering with emergency workers on a accident scene but that is outside of the scope of the OP's question.

In my mind only those that have something to hide would object to being video'd.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Delibrately making video or audio recordings of someone without their permission is a contravention of three seperate acts, of which the copyright act is one. I can't remember the other two off-hand. Gomario's attitude might seem to suck, but he is correct.

Security cameras do not record someone specific, which is why they are OK. The same goes for photographs of public places. Try to take a close up of the blond sunbathing topless on Clifton & I suspect you might find that diffferent rules apply.

As far as Leon Schuster & Carte Blanche are concerned, I would assume that Leon gets approval after making the recording & suspect that Carte Blanche might possibly work on the assumption that "our lawyers can keep you busy in court for far longer than you can are likely to be able to afford".
    Last edited by KevinF; 01-12-2012 at 18:07.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast